Forgot the finishing hops....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jps7117

Reaction score
Friday me and a friend brewed our first homebrew, and after following the recipe and directions, everything went well, except.... We forgot to pitch in the finishing 1oz of hops. My question is, can they still be added, if not then what should I expect the brew to turn out like? Thanks for any info...

It's an amber ale recipe:

3.3 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. M&F Light Dry Malt
2 lbs. Lager Grain M&F (cracked)
1 lb. British Pale Grain (cracked)
½ lb. Caravienne Belgian Grain (cracked)
2 oz. Chocolate Grain (cracked)
2 oz. Hallertauer Hops
1 oz. Tettnang Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - California Lager or American Lager

Finishing hops only add aroma, so you can take the easy route and dry hop it which will change the characteristics slightly, or boil a few cups of water (or preferably a little DME) and let the finishing hops steep for few minutes then add it to the fermenter when it cools.

Here's what you do: Wash your hands, open the fermenter, dump the hops in, close the fermenter. Seriously, that's all you have to do.

Wait until fermentation has subsided and then dry hop. Putting them in while it's offgassing rapidly might carry away some of the aroma.

Thanks for the replies..

Wait until fermentation has subsided and then dry hop. Putting them in while it's offgassing rapidly might carry away some of the aroma.

I'll give this a try...Thanks for the advise :mug:

Latest posts

Back