My first cheese!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
Last night I made my first cheese, its a Cheddar that is now sitting in the refrigerator downstairs, it has already formed a nice dry outer coating so im going to wax it this week.
I was expecting it to be harder than it was, it is a lot of waiting for things to happen, like curds to form etc.
I think im going to like this new hobby!

Hi,
I also love to make cheese, If you have to learn that it can be as fast and easy as baking a pie. The only equipment you need is a stainless steel pot, measuring spoons, cheesecloth and a dairy thermometer.

Time to set aside some time to make another cheddar. The first one wasn't that good until about 1.5 years had gone by. Somehow it was kind of wet and crumbly at the same time, but the flavor was just odd. At about 1.5 I had it with some sausage and it was pretty nice.

I just recorded a "mad Millie" cheese press seems like it will be good for cheddar so I'm making my second cheddar this weekend. Trying to establish a constant supply like I do with my beer.
I'm also going to try a mozzarella soon just waiting on the supplies for that.

Cool! I have made mozzerella a few times,i never got the hang of making Whey Ricotta though..It just never set up properly for me.

I would like to make some aged cheeses but I don't have the ability to temp control them properly yet. I have a mini fridge that will due (although it collects a fair amount of humidity which is no bueno...But I think I can fix that). And a temp controller which would server future use for lagering too...One of these days!

Will you provide the details of products and exact figure which has been used to prepare this recipe.

Hey kinda new here but I see nobody has responded to the recipe question,,,

This is from the Mad Mille kit:

1.5 US gal of full fat milk un-homogenized (hopefully you can find some low temp pasteurized like 63c at 30 minutes)

2 tablets of rennet diluted in 1/4 cup of un-chlorinated water

3ml of calcium chloride
I added annatto coloring

1/4 packet of messophilic starter

1.5 tsp of cheese salt or any salt that does no have iodine in it pickling salt, kosher,etc

cheese wax

equipment

large pot (double boiler best)
cheese cloth or butter muslin cloth
thermometer
pipette
draining spoon
curd knife
cheese press

step 1
clean clean clean sterilize all equipment and surface in the production area ( I usually go overboard and boil the tools and use a Clorox hot water mix and wash down the whole kitchen,,wife likes it :)

heat milk slowly , slowly, to 90F

add calcium
stir in starter
(I added annatto coloring at this point)
cover and let rest 45 minutes on your warmed turned off stove use a water bath if your room is cool....

after 45 minutes stir in rennet for 30 secs max

cover and let rest for 60 minutes try to maintain 90f

once set cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes with kurd knife or any knife that reaches the bottom of the pot start cut in center make a checker board then try best you can to cut into it at a 45 degree angle at 4 corners, if you find it has not made a clean break wait another 15 minutes and keep checking till you get the clean break..

at low heat on stove heat to 100f over a 30 minute period so be slow as possible in the temp rise,,during this slow temp rise slowly and gently stir every 5 minutes to keep the curds from clumping together.

Step 2 transfer curds into a cheese cloth lined colander , tie the corner into a knot and hang the bag in a warm spot for 1 hour..

after 1 hour place the curds in a bowl and break them up into small pieces with very clean hands mix in the salt..

Step 3 Molding and pressing

pack the curds into the cheese press mold lined with chees clothand press at 11lbs for 10 minutes..

with hands clean remove the cheese from the mold remove the cloth and turn the cheese over, redress and press for 10 minutes at 22lbs.

repeat this process but at 44lbs for 12 hours..

step 6
AGING

After 12 hours remove the cheese from the press and mold and air dry on a cheese mat or rack until the cheese develops a natural rind (depending on conditions should take about a week..
while the cheese is air drying make sure to turn it over daily to prevent moisture underneath..

after developing a natural rind it is ready for waxing then age in a area that allows 50 to 55f and 80 to 85% humidity for 5 weeks at least.....

having typed all this I am currently on day 2 of drying out.......

IMG_20140820_114357.jpg

IMG_20140819_185308.jpg

IMG_20140819_185517.jpg

Back