Gross

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5g of Raspberry Kolsch that I need to bottle this weekend. The other 5g is going in a keg as regular Kolsch (maybe next weekend). It has been a few months sense I bottled. I decided to give all the bottles a once over with the brush. 49 of the 50 bottles looked like they were already clean. The other one (wow) was gross!!! Made my happy I went to the trouble of brushing them :D . I must have been toasty when I put that one up (it could happen) :drunk: .

What have you guys found?

Cheers!!!:mug:

It is always a good idea to give your vessels, be they bottles or kegs, a 'lick & a promise' before filling. I clean & sanitize kegs when I put them away and before use.

When I delabel, I wash & sanitize my bottles at the same time, then put them into the closet for storage. When it's time to bottle, I give each one a quick once-over, and then give them a quick rinse & sanitize again before use. I have had a couple that apparently didn't get cleaned well enough the first time, but nothing 'gross' yet...

I cleaned and sanitized my bottles by hand and once in the dishwasher. I didn't check them during bottling, however.

After my friends and I sampled the first few I rinsed them out and looked in them to see if all the sediment was out. One bottle had a bug stuck to the bottom.

None of my friends know about this. Luckily they won't drink anything but BMC regularly but if they start begging for my homebrews, I'll be telling them!

Most bestest grossest bottle contents:

A dead mouse found in a wine bottle I was cleaning. It had been stored in the garage. Now all bottles get stored upside down in a box inside.

mrkeeg said:

A dead mouse found in a wine bottle I was cleaning. It had been stored in the garage. Now all bottles get stored upside down in a box inside.

That pretty much trumps my yeast in the bottle grossness!!!

mrkeeg said:

I really hope you threw that bottle out.

mrkeeg said:

So that would be a non-fermentable, I assume? Any luck using that in lieu of dextrine?

threw it out!? nah, I just used extra star-san in the bottle.

(I'm kidding of course.... )

It sure made me check extra carefully in the other bottles though!

Keegan

All my bottles get rinsed immediately after being poured. I clean and sanitize before bottling.

mrkeeg said:
threw it out!? nah, I just used extra star-san in the bottle.

(I'm kidding of course.... )

It sure made me check extra carefully in the other bottles though!

Keegan

Ya, he pitched it and some homebrewing dumpster diver probably picked it up. That begs a new definition to the body, nose, and legs of your wine! ;)

Back