whats the worst brewing accident you have witnessed or been a part of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully, this didn't exactly turn out to be an accident.

But me and my old man had done several tests with water, to see if his new electric brewery was safe.

Then on the friggin' brew day it started leaking RIGHT where the electric element was mounted. Scary.

Doing a late nite brew one evening with a couple of my homebrewing neighbors there to provide assistance (minimal amount) and beer talk (maximum amount). Since I had my fermentation bucket tied up with a Amber Ale 6 days in its primary fermentation I had to resort to putting this newly brewed Oktoberfest Ale in my bottling bucket. I rinsed/santized out the bottling bucket and ran some sanitizer thru the spigot to for good measure as my wort chiller was cooling the wort down. Went back to check on my wort chiller to check temp. Got my wort down to 70 degrees and started to transfer from the boil kettle to the bottling bucket. Realizing I forgot my hydrometer inside I asked my two neighbors to watch the transfer while I dashed in to get the hydrometer. When I came back I saw my two neighbors standing over the bottling bucket, drinking and chatting while a stream of golden amber wort ran down the driveway to the street from the bottling bucket. As I raced over to shut the value off on the bottling bucket one my neighbors steps back and goes "Dang when did that happen... We were watching it too" All we could do is laugh and have another brew.
Lost about half of my wort for the Oktoberfest Ale but in the end it turned out to a really good beer that me and my neighbors dubbed Driveway Drippings Oktoberfest.

This one is going to probably make you all cringe. Well, two stories actually. So, first story, i was brewing and had just finished the boil. Threw in my immersion chiller and flipped the water on. I think instead of the cold i hit the hot water which flash boiled the water as it ran through immersion chiller and let out a plop of boiling hot water and steam. Which wouldn't have been a big issue had my return hose not have been jammed up against the sink. Which caused this boiling hot water to splash up and onto my foot. Which also wouldn't have been a problem had i been wearing socks. But i ended up boiling the top of my foot, which turned into a big liquid filled bubble for about a week. It was pretty gross.

Second much worse accident happened when we were moving a hot keg. We had just finished a 10 gallon boil, and didn't have pumps at the time. So we needed to move the keggle to higher ground for gravity purposes. Well, the keg started to slip out of my buddy's grip and as a gut reaction i kind of threw my legs/crotch region under the keg to stabilize it. Well, what i forgot was that baseball pants(i hadn't changed from my softball game) melt at a fairly low temperature. So yeah i had to apply burn cream to my nuts for a week and pick melted baseball pants from my junk.

Moral of the story, dress for the occasion.

Just got done cleaning up... Ice bath fail, left the water runing and got side tracked. Lost the whole damn batch.

:smack:

image(1).jpg

image.jpg

Threw in my immersion chiller and flipped the water on. I think instead of the cold i hit the hot water which flash boiled the water as it ran through immersion chiller and let out a plop of boiling hot water and steam.

Oof. I get some of that even with cold water---the first 10-15 seconds are a lot of sputtering and steam escaping. I always take care to be sure that the return hose is well-settled in the sink. I used cable ties to connect the return hose to the feed hose, which helps because it's a shorter run of loose hose at the end. In any case, I'll be doubly careful to check this in the future!

Second much worse accident happened when we were moving a hot keg. We had just finished a 10 gallon boil, and didn't have pumps at the time. So we needed to move the keggle to higher ground for gravity purposes.

All things considered, I think this story ended a lot better than it could have...

Davedrass said:
One of the toughest things I have found about brewing in the winter is what to do with the water running out of the wort chiller. I brew in the garage, and in the warmer weather i fill up a few buckets with the warm runoff to help with cleaning, but most of the water runs down the driveway. A few weeks ago it was in the teens and I was worried about turning my driveway into a sheet of ice. My co-brewer, John, came up with a great solution - he routed the runoff hose into a flowerbed next to my house.
We had a relatively good brewing day (with the exception of a stuck sparge on the second batch). Wait, did I mention that I was brewing two batches to enter into the NHC? A Quad and an American Amber. We had company during the second batch in the form of John's cousin Ricky. The three of us had a grand time mashing and boiling and adding hops and cooling wort down and pitching yeast. Lots of laughs and we got to learn a thing or two from each other. I would have called it one of my best days yet. After I pitched the yeast on the second batch, it was time to show Ricky my basement bar. I built it last year, and I'm still stoked to show it off when I get the chance. That's when the **** hit the fan.
We walked into my finished basement (17x30) carpeted basement and found an inch of water over 80% of it. Each step you took sounded like you were sloshing through a pond. I nearly cried. We spent the next 7 hours pulling up carpet, throwing away padding, vacuuming water, buying fans, etc. On top of that, the Mrs. was bitching about how stupid John and I were for running water next to the house. "Every idiot knows not to put water against the foundation" I heard 1000 times.
Lucky for me, John is a carpet guy and he hooked me up with new padding and he put the carpet back in place the following Saturday and and that freed us up to brew a 10g batch of a very tasty milk stout.
The second brew day was so smooth that it was almost boring, and I ran the hose down the driveway instead!

But wait. . .
I tell the Mrs that I am much smarter now and that the water won't be a problem this time. You see, I put the water down the driveway this time. Even an idiot like me can learn from his mistakes!

Then. . .
John goes down to the basement to pull us a pitcher to enjoy during clean up.
AND . . .
Well, all I can tell you is that there is significantly less water produced when you make one batch instead of two. For the second week in a row my basement flooded from brewing. It turns out the that frost free valve in my garage wasn't so frost free and it burst inside my basement ceiling. Every time I opened the valve to chill my wort, it was spraying all over my basement.

The silver lining - My wife issued a public, facebook apology to us because it was a burst pipe rather than our idiocy that caused the floods. The 15 hours spent cleaning the mess might be worth that alone.

I'm going to guess that you left your hose attached to the spigot and that's why it didn't drain from the garage back to the valve in the "frost free" valve. You need to disconnect your hose and allow the water to drain from the valve during the cold months.;)

Crikey!!!!!!!!!! Don't let his wife hear that:eek::fro: I was enjoying the silver lining/happy ending:mug:

Brewing mistake-

I got drunk before making the beer. Only time I've ever hit 60% efficiency, haha.

Clumsy mistake- A 5gal secondary carboy shattered in my hands while sanitizing it. 13 stitches over two fingers and a pint of blood less, and I'm a heck of a lot more careful with glass.

My wife and I brewed up our first ever batch which initially went great. We hit our numbers, cooled the wort, transferred it to the fermenter and just as I was whisking a bit of O2 into the batch the whisk fell apart dumping a cups worth of sand, fibers, plastic, glass and metal into our wort.

Basically whatever they swept up off the floor in the Chinese whisk factory and tossed in the handle for weight went into the beer. After I used a magnet to pull metal chunks out of it we tossed the whole batch. It was just too gross to keep after that.

I mentioned earlier about scalding my arm with hot wort but I found a picture so I thought I'd post

ForumRunner_20130321_131531.jpg

That burn pic reminded me of a near disaster I witnessed at a brew-fest a few years ago. Fellow was nearing the end of an all-grain boil and decided his OG was off enough that he needed to add in some DME.

The guy cuts open the bag, prepares to pour it into the kettle - and with the burner still fired up proceeds to miss the kettle with about a half pound of DME. Which immediately ignites in a huge fireball, momentarily engulfing our brewing hero, who emerges with every hair on his face and head terminated with a tiny ball of fused keratin.

Props to the comrade whose immediate reaction was to hand the crispy conflagree a beer...

Cheers!

A bunch of dingle berries came to my house which is for sale unannounced and distracted me causing me to ruin my batch of beer and had to dump it before it made it to the boil kettle..its killing me right now..i want to put my head thru the wall

After moving the first priority was to hook the kegerator up, so I could serve the folks helping us out. Well one of said folks didn't realize what the fridge was and piled boxes up against it unevenly, later in the day someone shifted the pile of boxes and the top box leaned on the tap handle opening it, no-one noticed because it was pretty buried. Needless to say Irish stout colored curtains and area rugs were not on swmbo's short list of decor.

Reviving this one. A couple years back I was prepping for bottling, started a transfer of 12 gallons from countertop in kitchen to bottling vessel on the floor. My plan was to start the transfer then run to lhbs to pick up bottle caps. Upon returning I noticed liquid on the floor with the valve wide open! I threw down some towels to soak up the beer, but seemed like I only got a gallon or two. I ran downstairs to the apartment I rent out, only to find nothing dripping from the ceiling, but it was soft , so I put a bucket on the floor and poked a hole in the ceiling. Collected a few more gallons, not sure where the rest ended up. I then poured a gallon of bleachy water on my kitchen floor. I sold the house a few months later. I'd hate to see what's growing there now.
Another time bottling, I finished heating priming sugar, then proceeded to put 5 gallon carboy on stovetop getting ready for siphon, seconds later the bottom of the carboy separated from the top splashing 5 gallons of beer into stove and floor.
I only keg now.

Back