Porter Fermenting Temperature - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
All wise ones,

I'm brewing a Maple Coffee Porter as per this link(added maple syrup) http://***********/porter/item/1796-coffee-porter

We have a temperature controlled freezer set at 65Farenheit. The recipe calls for a fruity ale yeast 1098 which is the exact one we have at 63Farenheit. We did not set the ambient temperature but the beer temperature itself at that temp. The fermentation has been healthy but slow, not as vigorous as a standard ale. Most other porters call for the standard 68-70F but I thought, ah what the hell, it calls for 63 so there must be a reason.

I can post pics if needed but it's really just not the standard vigorous ale. There is krausen, just about a quarter way up the 1G headspace in the fermenter.

Anything I should be worrying about?

If I kick up the temp now will I face off flavours? I mean it's not like it was hot, cold, hot, cold, or just too hot in general. I would guess they have just been very sluggish.

The temperature range for that strain is 64-72. It won't do any arm to raise the temp as long as it is still below 72. Also I wouldn't bottle/keg after 7-10 days I would wait till the yeast is done.

Well it's steady at 65. Krausen is actually now gone. Going to take a reading in a week and if it's all fermented out then no issue.

My issue is why BYO would post 63 to ferment 1098. I thought there must be a reason. They MUST have meant ambient temp, but why would they not post that?

It's not a well thought out recipe. You notice in the step to step they tell you to reduce the the roasted barley and increase the chocolate nor do they tell you about how much coffee to use...etc etc. So it's no surprise they got the fermentation temp off as well.

Crap. You'd think BYO would have their stuff together. AH well. It smells good, tasted good. We'll see in a week or so i guess.

Back