Racking to secondary..Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of AHS Blue Moon Clone last weekend. I was going to rack to secondary this weekend. But when I lifted the cover I saw that there was still a krausen ring.

Can I siphon the beer to a secondary? or do I/should I wait until all the krausen drops?

6gt6agi.jpg

talleymonster said:
But when I lifted the cover I saw that there was still a krausen ring. Can I siphon the beer to a secondary? or do I/should I wait until all the krausen drops?
I suspect that ring is stuck to the side of the carboy, and won't be going anywhere until you soak with oxyclean and hit it with a brush!

I'd ignore it and turn to my hydrometer for guidance...if the FG is correct, go ahead and rack.

That looks pretty done to me, but as was already said, use your hydrometer! That's really the best way to know if its completely finished.

-D

seven days should be fine. (unless you are using a slow yeast or you are below 64 degrees or so.)

Even if it is a little early you'll get off most of the trub.

Can't remember ever brewing a beer that didn't leave a ring in the primary. You'll be waiting a loooooong time for that to go away (it won't). Rack it.

A hydrometer reading is important, but if it fermented vigorously, just take one as you rack, it's not the end of the world to have a little fermentation occur in the secondary.

Back