Strange fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabby58

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a blonde ale, nothing special 9.0# 2 row pale 1/2# kiln amber. Mashed at 148 degree for an hour, typical sparge, did raise sparge water temp from what I usually do. Boiled for an hour, missed my OG by a couple of points, into the fermenter with rehydrated Safale-05. Here is where the odd thing happens. I had little fermentation after the first day, but since then this beer went crazy, plugged the trap several times and is still active after a week. I have never had a beer do this and I don't see where I did anything different than I usually do. Anyone have an idea of what may have caused this strange fermentation?

I use Nottingham and have used S-05 in the past.. They seem to have the same qualities, at least to me.

As far as your experience, I know that with Nottingham only a few degrees difference in the fermenter can produce either a violent fermentation(68-70 degrees)or a more controlled and much slower reaction(62-64 degrees).

bosco

Back