Home Brewer competition at NC State Fair 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone plan on entering? If so just curious how many entries and what catagories you plan on entering.

I just found out the other day and intend to get a bunch of members from our club here in Wilmington to enter. I haven't even begun to decide what to enter though.

I'm strongly considering putting in a Kolsch i just finished, but i'm thinking it won't even place. Still, paying 10 bucks to be my beer professionally judged isn't that bad. Because I don't have a secondary fermenter, its somewhat cloudy; but the flavor and color seem right on.

My RIS came out more like a Foreign Extra, so I'm going to enter it in that. As you say, matt, professionally judged is loads helpful. w000000000t for beer in the state fair!

My husband & I are entering an Original Bitter, and a Lavender Wit. I'm honestly trying to game the categories that might have fewer entries... I love that the prize is eight bucks.

Oh man, here we go. I'm waiting on tenterhooks to see how my imperial stout did! I entered it as an imperial after all, because after carbonation the hops came out a little better, and it's well over the 8% upper limit of the Foreign Extra (10% ABV!). Best luck to you all!

Results!

CLASS 206: ENGLISH PALE ALE
3. Paul Hobson – Standard Ordinary Bitter (8A, 206, AB-00006)

CLASS 214: BELGIAN STRONG ALE
Honorable Mention Paul Hobson – Belgian Golden Strong Ale (18D, 214, AB-00014)

My husband was the lead brewer, I am his assistant/equipment & supplies manager. We're pretty thrilled, honestly. Both of us are dying to see if there are any notes.

Also so happy for Chris Creech's best in show--truly one of the nicest guys in the beer community. That guy makes phenomenal beer and writes a great blog too: http://www.nchomebrewing.com/

Anyone else doing Brew Durham/Piedmont/Homebrews for Hunger in the coming weeks?

citralovessorachi said:
Results!

CLASS 206: ENGLISH PALE ALE
3. Paul Hobson – Standard Ordinary Bitter (8A, 206, AB-00006)

CLASS 214: BELGIAN STRONG ALE
Honorable Mention Paul Hobson – Belgian Golden Strong Ale (18D, 214, AB-00014)

My husband was the lead brewer, I am his assistant/equipment & supplies manager. We're pretty thrilled, honestly. Both of us are dying to see if there are any notes.

Also so happy for Chris Creech's best in show--truly one of the nicest guys in the beer community. That guy makes phenomenal beer and writes a great blog too: http://www.nchomebrewing.com/

Anyone else doing Brew Durham/Piedmont/Homebrews for Hunger in the coming weeks?

Awesome! Way to go. Now you need to share those recipes Mrs. Cobrewer! :)

@citra, yes, my buddy and I are bringing 20 gallons to home brew for hunger. In fact I have a sahti inspired ale with juniper berries bubbling away right now. You going too?

That's pretty awesome--congrats, you guys. I guess with 144 entries it had to be some pretty stellar beer.

I would also love to see a feedback sheet, but I guess that's also what the Piedmont is for.

*kicks dirt* I lost 3 bottles of imperial stout to those judges...

CLASS 215: SMOKE-FLAVORED & WOOD-AGED BEER

Neil White & Siegfried Johnson – Godswood Bourbon Oak Porter Wood Aged Beer (22C, 215, AB-00015)
Mathew Ledbetter – Ghost Ship Whiskey Stout Wood-Aged Beer (22C, 215, AB-00015)
Christopher Eure – Other Smoked Beer – smoked porter (22 B, 215, AB-00015)

I'll take second place for my first entry. I didn't get to enter my Kolsch, but This whiskey stout I helped my brother and I made was VERY good. Also, a good friend of mine made 1st! I'm always happy to see a friend do better than me :)

elvestinkle said:
I would also love to see a feedback sheet, but I guess that's also what the Piedmont is for.

You really think we want get any BJCP score sheets that's why I paid to enter.

@citra, yes, my buddy and I are bringing 20 gallons to home brew for hunger. In fact I have a sahti inspired ale with juniper berries bubbling away right now. You going too?

20 gallons--nice! I like DH's sahti so much more than I ever thought I would. Can't wait to try it and say hi!

We're bringing 10 gallons--that is all we're really set up to serve, we have a 2 keg portable system. Brewed a breakfast stout yesterday, and I'm thinking we will brew our (award-winning, ahem) original bitter too.

Congrats to all winners of the BC--I am also hoping we get BJCP notes, but not holding my breath.

Has anyone been to the state fair yet to see the homebrew competition exhibit? I might not get to go at all this year due to work. Any pictures of the exhibit would be appreciated.

Here are pics I found on twitter so thank to all who shared them with us I would have missed it otherwise. The close up is my blue ribbon for a roggenbier!

image.jpg

Back