Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
s_l1600.jpg

Just bought myself this beauty. I'll have to wait an entire week to smoke it! The struggle is real folks.

That is a beautiful pipe! Patience is key. You'll have this pipe forever. Cheers!

Anybody here ever tried the Esoterica tobaccos? If so, which one(s), and what did you think?

I have had aged Penzance and Margate. Both very tasty but I personally don't feel they are worth the hype and cost.

Been having issues with keep my pipe lit. I've tried the three layer method, with no luck. May try the frank method. Any suggestions?

Try the frank method. Don't make it too difficult and don't pack too tight. Also, don't stress re-lights. It's all just part of the experience.

Anybody here ever tried the Esoterica tobaccos? If so, which one(s), and what did you think?

Lots of good stuff in the Esoterica line, but I don't think they're quite what they used to be. Germain has lost its edge a bit. Plus, supply has been low enough to make it tough to find any. Not saying their baccy is bad, just not epic stuff like it used to be.

What styles do you like? There's a good bit of breadth to the Esoterica line.

Don't make it too difficult and don't pack too tight. Also, don't stress re-lights. It's all just part of the experience.

This!

Over the years I've just gotten to know what feels right when packing. I would rather have things a little too loose and tamp as I go, a tamper is essential, and re-light when necessary. Being able to damp with your fingers over the bowl to get the thing going again is also useful, cuts down relights tremendously.

This!

Over the years I've just gotten to know what feels right when packing. I would rather have things a little too loose and tamp as I go, a tamper is essential, and re-light when necessary. Being able to damp with your fingers over the bowl to get the thing going again is also useful, cuts down relights tremendously.

Ayup. Also very lightly blowing through the stem can help to restoke.

And finally, pay attention to the moisture content of the tobacco. Sometimes, while not often, it is just too moist coming out if the tin and will not stay lit worth a damn.

I'm sure some of you have heard of Dagner pipes. Jayson has become a friend of mine over the past year and they're on the west coast for a few weeks. They stopped by Sacramento and I had a chance to skate with him for a few hours. We've been planning this skate session for a year now. Afterwards, we spent a few more hours at Briar Patch and met up with other pipe smokers.

ypo8Dn5.jpg

I'm sure some of you have heard of Dagner pipes. Jayson has become a friend of mine over the past year and they're on the west coast for a few weeks. They stopped by Sacramento and I had a chance to skate with him for a few hours. We've been planning this skate session for a year now. Afterwards, we spent a few more hours at Briar Patch and met up with other pipe smokers.

ypo8Dn5.jpg

So much win!! I am super jealous.

Been smoking my grandfathers old briar pipe that I found for a year now. don't know much bout pipe smoking just learning as I go. As far as the relighting goes, since I mainly hold the pipe in my mouth most of the time my breath naturally exhaled and caught through the pipe keeps mine lit while not puffing and the smoke from doing it that way is very minimal. And torch lighters keep the pain of any relights negligible.

:off: Oh, and Jayson's beard is awesome, mines a only 8" now but if mine will grow that long I will be doing the braides thing also. Here lately I have noticed it's just the right length to scrap the gravy off the tators if ur not carefull. :D

Finally cracked a tin of GLP Haddo's Delight that was about ready to burst. Found the tobacco was starting to bloom nicely and smelled amazing. Packed a bowl straight away. It lit easy and burned well. Very tasty. I have heard this is better fresh and can't compare, but this one is near the top of my list as is.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446597875.784363.jpg

Here's some random tobacco thoughts... I buy mostly tins.

My go to, favorite and standby is Balkan Sasieni. Enough Latakia and Oriental to keep it interesting, but doesn't just taste like a campfire.

I am also a big Dunhill fan - Early Morning Pipe, My Mixture 965 and Nightcap. All just beautiful, traditional UK tobacco.

Escudo Navy Deluxe - the king of the VaPers, magical little coins of awesomeness. Hard to find, not cheap, worth it.

C&D Cube Cut Burley - get a corn cob, dump it full of these little cubes and light up. Simple, straight forward, quality Burley. It's a one trick pony, but it's a good trick.

SG 1792 Flake - nearly as strong as Brown Bogie (nicotine champ), super interesting aroma from tonquin case. This is a nice, pressed flake. You want an occasional change of pace - this is one of the most unique tobaccos out there in my book.

Peter Stokebye - I buy the Deluxe Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake in bulk. Both are really great Va tobacco for the price. Get a pipe with a small bowl and smoke them gently, well worth the effort.

Happy pipe smoking!

My go to, favorite and standby is Balkan Sasieni. Enough Latakia and Oriental to keep it interesting, but doesn't just taste like a campfire.

I am also a big Dunhill fan - Early Morning Pipe, My Mixture 965 and Nightcap. All just beautiful, traditional UK tobacco.

Escudo Navy Deluxe - the king of the VaPers, magical little coins of awesomeness. Hard to find, not cheap, worth it.

C&D Cube Cut Burley - get a corn cob, dump it full of these little cubes and light up. Simple, straight forward, quality Burley. It's a one trick pony, but it's a good trick.

SG 1792 Flake - nearly as strong as Brown Bogie (nicotine champ), super interesting aroma from tonquin case. This is a nice, pressed flake. You want an occasional change of pace - this is one of the most unique tobaccos out there in my book.

Peter Stokebye - I buy the Deluxe Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake in bulk. Both are really great Va tobacco for the price. Get a pipe with a small bowl and smoke them gently, well worth the effort.

Happy pipe smoking!

Thanks, this was quite helpful.

I'm going to sub to this.. after 10 years smoking cigarettes, I am almost completely free of them. Now when I am struggling, fighting with myself to resist picking up a pack of smokes, I pack a pipe. My Navy buddy got into it a year ago and had an extra pipe he got as some deal at our tobacconist, so he gave it to me. I know nothing about it, have a hard time keeping it lit or getting solid smoke out of it, but it is enough pain in the ass that it gets my mind of cigs and is a nice reward. I'll be much more happy if I figure out how to enjoy it properly. Some of my best memories are sitting on the porch with my grandfather, watching a lightning storm roll in while he smoked his pipe. I have no idea what he smoked, but some day if I find it, I'm sure I'll know.

One of these days, I'll throw a picture up of the pipe I was gifted. I'm sure it is nothing special, most likely cheap as I think they gave it to him for buying a few bags of tobacco. He gave me a tool for scraping and pressing but I definitely know I have to get some pipe cleaners and figure out how to store it. As far as what I'm smoking, I picked up a bag of Viking Gold I think it was called. I had no idea what to look for and just picked something that didn't sound crazy. Any tips welcome.. enjoy seeing your pictures.

Been having issues with keep my pipe lit. I've tried the three layer method, with no luck. May try the frank method. Any suggestions?

I've found that the shape of the bowl effects the degree of tamp when loading, so you have to figure that out for each of your pipes. Always do a false light, and use a stick match while waving it back and forth across the top of the bowl.

As said earlier a little back puff once in a while (like your trying to unstick a stuck mash), and may be too moist.

I'm going to sub to this.. after 10 years smoking cigarettes, I am almost completely free of them. Now when I am struggling, fighting with myself to resist picking up a pack of smokes, I pack a pipe. My Navy buddy got into it a year ago and had an extra pipe he got as some deal at our tobacconist, so he gave it to me. I know nothing about it, have a hard time keeping it lit or getting solid smoke out of it, but it is enough pain in the ass that it gets my mind of cigs and is a nice reward. I'll be much more happy if I figure out how to enjoy it properly. Some of my best memories are sitting on the porch with my grandfather, watching a lightning storm roll in while he smoked his pipe. I have no idea what he smoked, but some day if I find it, I'm sure I'll know.

One of these days, I'll throw a picture up of the pipe I was gifted. I'm sure it is nothing special, most likely cheap as I think they gave it to him for buying a few bags of tobacco. He gave me a tool for scraping and pressing but I definitely know I have to get some pipe cleaners and figure out how to store it. As far as what I'm smoking, I picked up a bag of Viking Gold I think it was called. I had no idea what to look for and just picked something that didn't sound crazy. Any tips welcome.. enjoy seeing your pictures.

The tool, is often times referred to as a "nail" or sometimes a "3-n-1". Nail is just that, a spoon on one end, nail head on the other. "3-n-1" includes a poker.

DO NOT scrape! Think of your pipe like the shell of a hard boiled egg and the nail as a spoon. When clearing out the draff you only want to lightly scoop out the meaty bits leaving the shell intact. same goes for the bowl of the pipe.

With each smoke there is a phenomenon called "cake". This seasons your pipe, protects the wood, and insulates the bowl. When you scrape, you remove cake. And cake is slow to make. Scoop out like an egg and no issue.

The poker on a 3-n-1 can be useful for loosening up a too tightly packed bowl or clearing anything packed into the outlet holes when pipe cleaners aren't handy.

As far as tobacco, start out by buying small volumes (tins or a by the ounce) until you find something you like. When you find something you like dig into it's specs. (tobacco type, cased or not, etc..) to get a bead on what characters you enjoy most.

As far as tobacco, start out by buying small volumes (tins or a by the ounce) until you find something you like. When you find something you like dig into it's specs. (tobacco type, cased or not, etc..) to get a bead on what characters you enjoy most.

Thanks man! The 3-in-1 for sure, I wasn't really scraping anything. I would just run the spoon around the bowl to relieve excess when I was done and the other one to press. I wasn't really using the nail yet. I had actually used matches to light and then I'd use a dead match halfway through to break it up a bit for one more light. Appreciate the tip on not to scrape, I probably would've eventually. I just wasn't doing much to it yet since I've only packed it 3-4 times probably. The first time was too loose, second too tight and the last two weren't bad at all. I think I'm getting a little better.

My friend makes it look so easy. He gets big puffy pulls of smoke and just looks smooth. Meanwhile I sit there struggling, likely staring at it cross-eyed trying to figure out wtf is wrong with it. Some day. I was just picking up little 2 ounce bags to try though. I'd like to find a tin or two to play with. Might be time to get back down there.

Thanks man! The 3-in-1 for sure, I wasn't really scraping anything. I would just run the spoon around the bowl to relieve excess when I was done and the other one to press. I wasn't really using the nail yet. I had actually used matches to light and then I'd use a dead match halfway through to break it up a bit for one more light. Appreciate the tip on not to scrape, I probably would've eventually. I just wasn't doing much to it yet since I've only packed it 3-4 times probably. The first time was too loose, second too tight and the last two weren't bad at all. I think I'm getting a little better.

My friend makes it look so easy. He gets big puffy pulls of smoke and just looks smooth. Meanwhile I sit there struggling, likely staring at it cross-eyed trying to figure out wtf is wrong with it. Some day. I was just picking up little 2 ounce bags to try though. I'd like to find a tin or two to play with. Might be time to get back down there.

Packing a pipe is tricky. Too loose and it burns too hot, too tight and you hyper-ventilate. And worse, it varies by tobacco. It's moisture and cut make a difference on how easily it packs.

My method is to sprinkle tobacco into the bowl until it's filled, then I grab a nice 3 finger pinch and roll it into the bowl with my thumbs being careful not to press my thumbs down into the bowl.

I bought a zippo for lighting pipes.

1_1023793_MD.jpg

I do most all of my smoking outdoors and just found matches to be a PITA.

Anyway, after the bowl is packed I give it a light to char the top and heat up the tobacco. Then I use the nail to tamp it down until the draw on the pipe is comfortable to me. Then I relight and smoke until I've had my fill or the flavor starts to go off at the bottom of the bowl.

Periodically I tamp the bowl down with the nail to keep the draw consistent through the bowl.

When done, I set the pipe aside and let the tobacco burn itself out and let the pipe cool down naturally before I do anything to it. A hot pipe is easy to damage.

As for storing tobacco, I use dual zip ziplock baggies and a tote.

When done, I set the pipe aside and let the tobacco burn itself out and let the pipe cool down naturally before I do anything to it. A hot pipe is easy to damage.

As for storing tobacco, I use dual zip ziplock baggies and a tote.

This helps a lot. It just doesn't feel comfortable to me yet and I was unsure what the nail was for so I may have to read this a few times and try it that way. I store it the same way I stored my cigars, in a tupperware container, in ziploc with a little piece of cedar. Just.. because I was unsure. I'm definitely having moisture problems I think. Sometimes I concentrate so much I end up getting it too moist. Quite excited though, it's a nice hobby and wife doesn't mind it at all compared to cigarettes.

Great discussions. There are many of nights out on the front porch with friends and homebrew enjoying my pipe.

We need more traditions back in our lives and stop being so technologically dependent. Everyone has their face in a phone reading pintrest or FB. Put down the devices, light up a pipe and enjoy family/friends in real conversations.

Awesome to see you poking around in here. I rarely get big clouds of smoke like your friend and if I do, I'm usually getting tongue bite from rushing things. The pipe is much different from cigars or cigarettes like that. I'm not sure about where you live, but here anything bought in a shop is way more expensive than I can get online. Pipesandcigars.com has a massive selection of bulk tobacco you can order as little as 1oz of with reasonable prices. Buy a bunch of different things to try, the following are all available in bulk at P&C: Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River is a must try English blend in my opinion as well as lots of other pipers. McClelland 5100 Red Cake is a straight red Virginia that is pretty mild and easygoing and actually used as a base for lots of blends but is good all alone. Any and all Peter Stokkebye flakes are tasty, they require a little more effort and patience but it's worth it. The cube cut burley mentioned before is also a good option to see if you like burley tobacco. Don't stress relights, a loose bowl can always be tamped down, while a tight packed bowl usually needs to be dumped and re-done. Most of all, just enjoy it. Sip the smoke, don't try to look like a steam engine and you will enjoy it more. Also, while expelling the smoke close your mouth and blow through your nose. You will pick up more subtle flavors that way.

Happy pipe smoking!

Pipes and Cigar has the Escudo Navy Flake, 1,76Oz tins, $8.75 ea.

You will pick up more subtle flavors that way.

Hah, I definitely make sure I enjoy it. After smoking a pack or two a week, when I get out the pipe I make sure I get my fill even if I have to French-inhale here and there. I'm not so much worried about getting a ton of smoke, it is just frustrating when it doesn't light well. Maybe what I have is too moist? Maybe I'm drooling. Who knows. Going to keep working on it, he just makes it look chill and it takes me a lot of effort.

Does quality of pipe make a massive difference? I'm assuming the one he gave me is a $10-$20 piece as opposed to his $100 pipe.

This helps a lot. It just doesn't feel comfortable to me yet and I was unsure what the nail was for so I may have to read this a few times and try it that way. I store it the same way I stored my cigars, in a tupperware container, in ziploc with a little piece of cedar. Just.. because I was unsure. I'm definitely having moisture problems I think. Sometimes I concentrate so much I end up getting it too moist. Quite excited though, it's a nice hobby and wife doesn't mind it at all compared to cigarettes.

I lean toward too dry as a general rule. Much easier to add moisture in than take it out. Too wet and it's a PITA to light, gurgles in the pipe, potentially molds, or just doesn't taste right.

My method with the dual zip ziplocks, when tobacco is too dry, is to spritz distilled water into the bag, 1 or 2 shots max at a time. I close op the bag making sure to let it "pillow", and then I shake the **** out of it so that the moist bits blend in with the dry, and the dry bits pull moisture from the bag sides. Once the moisture appears to have blended I open the bag back up to deflate the pillow, settles all the bits to the bottom, and then tightly roll the bag, zip it shut, and secure the roll (tape usually) and let it sit a day or two to blend through.

It's very rare that I have to add any more moisture than this unless it has become very dry tobacco.

A lot of times I will set out the tobacco I am going to burn 15-20 minutes before packing to let it air dry a little. Prince Albert is a good tobacco to learn on - it's a burley and is fine cut. Just don't pack it super tight. I typically use a 3 step pack. Light, tamp, relight. It takes some time and you have to learn. Cigars are pretty easy. You can also try the delayed gratification technique - light and smoke part of the pipe, then let it go out and rest for a while before relighting - some tobaccos will change a fair bit after a little DGT.

I like my pipes clean and pretty cake free. If I have a real dirty one or if I pick up an estate (used) pipe, I will clean it as much as I can with a tool or small knife - not carving wood, just getting all the gunk out. Remove the stem. Pack the bowl with kosher salt and then fill with vodka or grain alcohol (not rubbing) - let it sit 8-12 hours and then rinse it out well. This will leach a lot out of the bowl and leave it nice and clean. Few pipe cleaners and it's ready to go. I like to use a tiny drop of olive oil and rub in by hand just to condition the wood a little.

Does quality of pipe make a massive difference? I'm assuming the one he gave me is a $10-$20 piece as opposed to his $100 pipe.

For me, no.

I have a small collection of Dr Grabow and Corn Cobb. Some of the cheapest pipes around. And I find they smoke as well, or better, than some of the more expensive ones I have.

There isn't much "technology" in the design of pipes. Price is more a function of brand and production effort. Hand carved being the pricier, of course.

I prefer bent to straight. If nothing more than for the reason that the occasional tobacco will create that nasty gurgly slurp of tobacco juice (Can't think of term for ****). But, I do have several straight pipes in my collection.

The one pipe I enjoy most for a just sit and chill smoke is my churchwarden bent. Damned thing is nearly 14" long and draws easier than some of my shorter pipes.

I have a small collection of Dr Grabow and Corn Cobb. Some of the cheapest pipes around. And I find they smoke as well, or better, than some of the more expensive ones I have..

Getting-nostalgic-classic-bucket-bakelite-font-b-pipe-b-font-font-b-tobacco-b-font-font.jpg

A quick search for simple - cheap pipe brought this up and it looks exactly like the one I have. Minus the fancy holder thing.

A quick search for simple - cheap pipe brought this up and it looks exactly like the one I have. Minus the fancy holder thing.

If you like the way it draws (once you've dialed in the pack), the bowl doesn't get too hot to handle (after a decent cake has formed), it's easy to clean (pipe cleaners pass through the bit easily), then it is a good pipe regardless of cost.

Best pipe I have had to date was given to me by my MIL. $5.00USD bulldog production pipe from a chinese open air merchant in Malaysia. Pipe was fantastic in every way until one day "pop", the bowl split from the heat. I suppose there was a defect in the burl and it finally just gave up.

Still miss that pipe. It is the one that got me started.

I have an cheap old and used dr grabow that a friend gave me after fitting it with a long stem. Probably overall less expensive than the tobacco I've put thru it in the last month, and it burns cleaner, cooler, and more thoroughly than my $100+ meerschaum.

I agree that a more expensive pipe will not really be any better, just find a pipe that fits you and invest the extra cash into good tobacco. :mug:

I am pretty fond of Dan Tobacco. Blue Note is my all time favorite of theirs. DaVinci come in a second. I prefer aromatics and aside from the Dan varietals generally avoid cased (flavored) tobaccos.

I, admittedly, had put my pipes down for quite some time. Had seriously considered selling them, dumping them, or giving them away along with (if i were to guess) about 2 pounds of various tobaccos ranging from drug store (prince albert, walter raleigh, Borghum Riff, Cap Black) to GLP Pease to Sasieni. Last count I had 46 baggies of tobacco.

One of which is my "house blend". When a bag become used enough that it won't pack a full bowl I dump it into the house blend bag. It has made for a surprising good blend of tobacco.

At any rate, I found that most of the tobacco I have is so old that the few cased varieties i have have lost much of their appeal.

I had almost completely given up smoking in general, and snus.

I recently dove into woodworking and one day the aroma from the wood struck a nerve and I reached for an old pipe. Sawdust and pipe smoke. A heavenly pair.

Decided to freshen up my selections today and ordered the following;

Dunhill sampler, 4 tins, elizabeth, nightcap, mixture 965, and london mixture.
Escudo Navy flake
SG 1972
Dan Milonga

All blends I have never had before.

Just picked up a tin of Balkan Sasieni and Esoterica Margate.

Walked in to my tobacconist and the clerk showed me to the Balkan. I saw that they also had a bunch of tins of Balkan Sobrani, which was odd since their website showed it as sold out. I asked him when they'd be getting the Esoterica tobaccos in stock because I had noticed on their website that they were sold out. He motioned to my left and showed me the Esoterica blends they had (everything except Penzance and Stonehaven), and told me they don't advertise on their website as they want to sell them to people who will smoke them and not just flip them on ebay. I love having a local tobacconist. :ban:

Just picked up a tin of Balkan Sasieni and Esoterica Margate.

Walked in to my tobacconist and the clerk showed me to the Balkan. I saw that they also had a bunch of tins of Balkan Sobrani, which was odd since their website showed it as sold out. I asked him when they'd be getting the Esoterica tobaccos in stock because I had noticed on their website that they were sold out. He motioned to my left and showed me the Esoterica blends they had (everything except Penzance and Stonehaven), and told me they don't advertise on their website as they want to sell them to people who will smoke them and not just flip them on ebay. I love having a local tobacconist. :ban:

We still have a couple in town. Too far out of my way to bother with them and they cater more to the cigar crowd.

Vaping shops however have exceeded the numbers of christian churches and starbucks combined.

We still have a couple in town. Too far out of my way to bother with them and they cater more to the cigar crowd.

Vaping shops however have exceeded the numbers of christian churches and starbucks combined.

Mine is 1/2 block away from where I work. A nice stroll. It's also America's oldest tobacco shop (or so it claims). Huge selection of cigars and pipes, and tobaccos. It has a free smoking room and a pay smoking room. The pay smoking room is BYOB and very, very nice.

Back