"Cereal Killer" grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my CK mill but lately for some reason it intermittently starts doing what I would describe as cavitating, where its spinning but not crushing. Has anyone experienced this? Am I doing something wrong?

This is the problem I reference above. The issue is the passive roller is not spinning. See if there's chaff built up around the edges that's keeping it from spinning. It may be that you have the same problem I did - the bearing seized on one end and the roller wouldn't spin.

I noticed recently that I had sufficient store credit at AIH to cover a Cereal Killer so I ordered one. It arrived the other day. I also noticed that I had sufficient store credit at a LHBS for a 50# sack of two row so I grabbed that, too. I plan to try both this weekend. I won't be out of pocket very much for this brew! Just a couple of pounds of additional grains.

Ran into this three roller at The Beer Essentials in Lakewood Washington today. It's a three roller mill but isnt a Monster Mill. The hardware and markings on it look an awful lot like a Cereal Killer. Has anyone seen these before?

20151202_111217.jpg

Tried the Cereal Killer I got for my birthday on two batches of beer last night. I found a gap setting of 0.035" worked great. I got a nice, fine crush but it didn't turn to flour. I was even more pleased I didn't get a stuck sparge in my oatmeal stout. By milling at home instead of LHBS, my efficiency went from 60% to 72% Love it!

Ran into this three roller at The Beer Essentials in Lakewood Washington today. It's a three roller mill but isnt a Monster Mill. The hardware and markings on it look an awful lot like a Cereal Killer. Has anyone seen these before?

this ones also branded as the kegco...
I'm still having no problems with my cereal killer mill... I have my gap set with a credit card and average 86% efficiency.. (I actually got 92% on my last brew for some reason.)

this ones also branded as the kegco...
I'm still having no problems with my cereal killer mill... I have my gap set with a credit card and average 86% efficiency.. (I actually got 92% on my last brew for some reason.)

Yea - my is still doing well too - I'm having a hard time justifying a three roller when my two roller is doing well. It's getting 32 pounds through it today...

My Brewhouse efficiency has been measured around 75-80% with all malted barley and 70% with Wheat beers. It's not a number I chase. I set my mill to 0.037"

I've previously gotten around 68-72% brewhouse from my corona mill but I get mixed results with lautering. Sometimes it takes forever to drain. Conditioning the malt did help quite a bit. But I still find that I'm often in the 80s for conversion efficiency, which according to braukaiser should easily be in the upper 90s. The slow sparge and conversion efficiency are what led me to buy a cereal killer. The speed and ease is nice benefit, too.

Unfortunately (?), I've got 3 full kegs and one full fermenter with only a 3 tap system. I'd love to give the CK a spin but I've got nowhere to put the beer. Maybe this week I'll brew something big that needs to condition for a while.

I plan to start at 0.035" and adjust from there, trying to get the highest eff without risking stuck or slow sparges. Do you all find that conditioning the malt helps when using a CK? It made a huge difference for me on the corona mill, but that's because it shredded the hulls otherwise.

I plan to start at 0.035" and adjust from there, trying to get the highest eff without risking stuck or slow sparges. Do you all find that conditioning the malt helps when using a CK? It made a huge difference for me on the corona mill, but that's because it shredded the hulls otherwise.

If you're going to condition, I'd set the gap to around 22mil (0.022" or 0.55mm). That gives me the best crush for normal barley. For wheat malt, I close it to around 12mil or 0.3mm.

If you're going to condition, I'd set the gap to around 22mil (0.022" or 0.55mm). That gives me the best crush for normal barley. For wheat malt, I close it to around 12mil or 0.3mm.

Whoa, that's pretty tight. But I was just looking at Braukaiser's wiki and he said the same. He said he does get slow and stuck sparges at that rate though.

I've only ever had one stuck sparge, and it was on grain that wasn't crushed by me (a friend's grain bill that he didn't have time to brew). I haven't had issues with the gap settings I mentioned, and if I'm using >40% wheat I'll throw a couple of handfuls of rice hulls into the mash, but obviously with everyone having different MLT's and false bottoms, YMMV.

Latest posts

Back