Starsan + Campden = Sulphur ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lackluster

Reaction score
Hi,

For my brew session yesterday I picked up some Campden tablets to treat the chlorine/chloramine in my water. I also started using StarSan for the first time. Of course, being ultra-paranoid after a small chlorophenol off-flavour in my last beer, I mixed the StarSan with the treated water. Not long after, I noticed a distinct sulphur smell coming from the solution.

I've read here that sulphur treated gloves produce a strong sulphur odour when working with StarSan. I'm wondering if the sulphites in the Campden tablets would do the same.

Any chemists out there care to explain?

Thanks,

Brian

How many tabs did you use for how many gallons of water? I use 1/2 tablet per 5g to remove chloramines. My star san is usually mixed with distilled water.

I used a bit more I guess. Total water treated was around 55 litres to which I added one full tablet. So that's around 14.5 gallons for one whole tablet. Thinking back, I should probably have used only a half, but I don't think there is any harm done. At least I hope not.

Back