Rocket Fuel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrritableGourmet

Reaction score
I was in the freezer section of my local Wegman's and spied the frozen concentrated juices. On a whim, I bought two cans of Welch's Apple/Grape/Cherry (it was on sale for $1.50 each). Threw it in a 1 gallon water bottle with 1.25 lb light brown sugar and Cote De Blancs. After 1 month, it looked pretty clear so I racked it to two 1/2 gal. growlers. It is, in short, rocket fuel. I didn't take a SG so I can't guess as to the alcohol content, but it seems pretty high. The cherry and apple add a nice taste and help to mask the alcohol, but not by much. It would probably be better with age, but I wanted a cheap table wine for drinking with dinner. Three glasses and I'm, at 285 lbs., out for the night.

If you want something you can drink quickly, do not add so much sugar. Your SG was probably over 1.100.

I have a friend who likes hard lemonade so I thought I would buy enough lemonade concentrate to bring the OG up to mid beer levels and pitch some yeast and live happily ever after.

Long story short, it didn't end up hard lemonade. It was *ok* to drink a year later... but for the most part it was wasted ethonal.

Artificial flavors and simple sugars does not make a good brew :(

Yep, the only thing to do now is let it sit a while.....

It's already all gone. I hate harsh wines, but this had the right combination of flavors and alcohol that made it go down so smoothly. I would compare it to a Long Island Iced Tea for drinkability and alcohol content. And for some reason I never felt hungover.

I'm wondering if the "juice" you bought was actual juice concentrate or one of those corn-syrup-and-10%-juice-and-artificial-flavoring concoctions that my wife doens't let me buy any more. I'd imagine that fermenting high-fructose corn syrup (and adding more simple sugar on top of it) might have make it a bit more fusel-ey.

It's already all gone. I hate harsh wines, but this had the right combination of flavors and alcohol that made it go down so smoothly. I would compare it to a Long Island Iced Tea for drinkability and alcohol content. And for some reason I never felt hungover.

Sounds like you need to make up a bigger batch this time :mug:

Good luck

John

Back