Looking for a good beer recommendation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
I'm going to the Jimmy Buffett concert tomorrow, and we're going to tailgate for a few hours beforehand. I'm in charge of bringing beer for myself and a few others. I'm looking for a good summer ale. All of my friends are beer lovers, so I don't feel obligated to get any BMC. Given that I live in Chicago, Goose Island 312 and Summertime are a popular choices, as is Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, but I'm looking to try something new. Any thoughts?

If you can find Alaskan Pale (Alakan Brewery, Juneau) its worth a sixer. The blue box.

If it traveled well, get a case.

I happen to find Guiness quite refreshing on hot days, not every one does.

Take plenty of water too, my group tends to arrive in the Buffett parking lot around 8:15 AM.

You know, that's a good recommendation. I have never had their pale, but I LOVE their other brews that I've tried, like their Amber especially. I'm definitely not a Guinness on a hot day kind of guy.

Yeah, we're not THAT courageous to show up at 815am, but to say today is going to be a session day is putting it lightly. It's going to be REALLY hot, and REALLY muggy apparently, so I'm gonna have to rock the water all day.

If you like kolsch the harpoon "summer beer" is pretty good and it's fairly cheap.Not my favorite,but a lot of people like it.

Man, I have some good, albeit foggy, memories of seeing Jimmy Buffet in Chicago :tank:

Can you get beers from Kona Brewing Co. in your area? If you can, I'd suggest the Longboard Lager. Yeah, it's a light lager, but its got more flavor than a BMC product but you can still drink them all day. And it fits in well at a Buffet concert.

Bell's Oberon is my favorite summer wheat (I brew it all the time :) ) It's refreshing, spicy and fruity, with noble hops:
Bell's Brewery: Brands

We ended up getting a mini-keg of Oberon, I didn't even know they sold those, it was pretty cool.

We also ended up getting Goose Island Summertime and my buddy picked out this Mexican Lager that is a lot like Corona that I didn't particularly care for, and I can't remember the name.

What a blast though! I never knew a concert/tailgate could be so much fun. I recommend you all check out a Buffett show if you find one is coming to your area.

Back