Keezer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start building my keezer, and I have a "why not" question.

I am thinking about using a 2x12 for the collar. I understand that this will add height, and make it more difficult to put kegs in. However, I can lift full cornies without any problems, so that won't be an issue. Is there any other reason not to use the 2x12?

I figure that I will run it across the joiner, and then through the plainer, so it will be more like 1 1/2 x 11 by the time that I am done.

Also, I am going to build my own co2 manifold. I figured on using copper for the main pipe, and brass ball valve fittings for each line. I know that you aren't supposed to use copper for a jockey box because of carbonic acid. Is there any reason not to use it for the main line?

I can lift a full corny too but slinging it into a keezer c a r e f u l l y is a whole different story - I use a step stool when placing full ones in mine. I used a 2x8 for my collar which results in a keezer that is 40" tall (not including the lid). I barely clear the posts and connectors so have to be carefull about how I arrange the hoses so I can see the advantage of a few extra inches.

For the manifold you would also want check valves to prevent backflow.

GT

I've never built a keezer, so I may be wrong...but can't you attach the collar to the lid instead of the base? Only problem might be the weight of the lid, but I thought people have done it before. Worst case, you may need to add a prop stick.

I have a collar on my keezer that is about 12" high. It's made from laminated particle board and 2 layers of foam insulation. I don't have any problem getting full Cornie's into it.

Cheers,
Paul

i attached my 2x6 to the lid to avoid any of these issues. I am SOOO glad that I did that too. It takes a little (very) more work, but is totally worth it.

If you use framing lumber a 2x12 is already 1 1/2" x 11 1/4". Mine is made out of 3/4" cabinet maple plywood and it is fine. About 8" tall, and I agree that if the kegs are in there tight, it can be a chore to carefully put in the last couple kegs without getting them tangled in the lines. Almost a 2 person job. One day I did it myself after a few too many and kept bumping the tap handles open.

Another think is make sure you can reach the bottom of the freezer to clean it or grab something that fell down to the floor.

Plans may have changed on this whole thing. Depending on how the next few weeks go, I may just skip this step and go right to building a bar.

Part 2 of my original question still remains though. Is it safe to use copper as my gas line?

Back