A Festbierus for the Restbierus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
Working on a quick-turnaround Festbier recipe and would love some feedback.

A Festbierus for the Restbierus:
5 Gallon, all-grain 65% efficiency
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.011
SRM: 6.7
IBU: 23.2
ABV: 5.9%

9lbs. 0.8oz German Pilsner Malt
3lbs. 0.3oz Munich Malt (10L)
1oz Tradition (AA 6%) @ 60min
1oz Hallertauer Mittlefrueh @ Flameout
1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15min

Mash for 60min @ 153ºF

Still determining my yeast, but it'll be either a Munich Helles type lager yeast or just something good and clean like WLP830.

Also I'm on the fence about adding in the biscuit... I know the style calls for some sweetness/biscuit flavor, but I wasn't sure if the Munich would provide as much of that as I'd want. So I just kept it to 5% of the bill.

Any thoughts are welcome!

I made a festivus beer last fall...

I think it looks pretty solid, though i'd increase the munich for 2-3lbs to get it as malty as actual fetsbiers. Biscuit wouldnt be traditional, but it could add some character to it. If you want more caramelization and maltiness you could always take 1gal of the first runoffs and boil it down to a syrup to add back into the boil. So yeah either up the munich, keept eh biscuit, or do the boil thing

I made a festivus beer last fall...

I think it looks pretty solid, though i'd increase the munich for 2-3lbs to get it as malty as actual fetsbiers. Biscuit wouldnt be traditional, but it could add some character to it. If you want more caramelization and maltiness you could always take 1gal of the first runoffs and boil it down to a syrup to add back into the boil. So yeah either up the munich, keept eh biscuit, or do the boil thing

Ahhh, gotcha.

Changes made to OP. 75% pilsner, 25% munich.

Bit of an update, went by my lhbs and he was all out of his usual Briess Munich 10L. Said everyone and their mother came in to buy some for brewing oktoberfests. He had plenty of "Dark" Munich 20L, so I got that instead. Going to take me a bit out of style color-wise for the Festbier, but I'm not too concerned.

I really can't wait to get this beer brewed. Mmmmm golden malty goodness.

Bit of an update, went by my lhbs and he was all out of his usual Briess Munich 10L. Said everyone and their mother came in to buy some for brewing oktoberfests. He had plenty of "Dark" Munich 20L, so I got that instead. Going to take me a bit out of style color-wise for the Festbier, but I'm not too concerned.

I also went with WLP833 German Bock yeast, did a 1L starter with a 1.5L step up. All done settling out with a nice thick layer of yeast on the bottom.

I really can't wait to get this beer brewed. Mmmmm golden malty goodness.

After exactly one week in the chamber I hit 80% attenuation, time for the d-rest!

9mDi8Sx.jpg

Back