British Brown Ale Bender's Oil (Gold winning Northern English Brown)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qcbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP023
Yeast Starter
Always
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 days (64F)
Tasting Notes
See below
Ingredients

7.5 lbs Marris Otter
0.5 lbs Crystal 70/80
0.5 lbs Victory
0.75 lbs Special Roast
0.25 lbs Pale Chocolate

.9 oz Challenger @ 60 min
.6 oz Kent Golding @ 10 min

Mash
1.6 qt/lb
Strike 3.8 gal @ 162F
Hold Mash @ 151F for 60 minutes
Sparge with 165F water

Fermentation
Pitch yeast @ 68F
Ferment @ 64F for 18 days
Prime to 2.2 volumes of CO2

Ahh I love a good futurama reference. Where did this win gold? I was looking to make a mild to build up a yeast cake for a barley wine but I may just do this, with blackjack, and hookers.

It won gold at the M.A.L.T. competition in Montreal. It was actually based on a mild recipe I had which I bumped up the maris otter. It is a very easy drinking beer so try to control your fermentation to not produce too many esters.

Oh and byte my 8-bit metal ass. That's byte with a y. Hehehe...

So I followed the recipe almost exactly this past Saturday and put it into the carboy and it still isn't showing any signs (bubbling or churning) that the yeast has activated. Should I be worried?

This is my first homebrew and my first all grain in one so maybe I'm jumping the gun?

:confused:

So I followed the recipe almost exactly this past Saturday and put it into the carboy and it still isn't showing any signs (bubbling or churning) that the yeast has activated. Should I be worried?

This is my first homebrew and my first all grain in one so maybe I'm jumping the gun?

:confused:

Yep I jumped the gun, working like a champ on day 4!

I was looking at doing the innkeeper recipe from Northern Brewer, similar grain bill. The strike water is such a small volume, do you get a good boil volume by just sparging until you get 6 - 6 1/2 gallons?

Thanks

I was looking at doing the innkeeper recipe from Northern Brewer, similar grain bill. The strike water is such a small volume, do you get a good boil volume by just sparging until you get 6 - 6 1/2 gallons?

Thanks
Yup, it's a small strike volume because I don't want to get my mash too thin. You then just sparge until you get your desired pre-boil volume (which should be between 6 and 6.5)

Ingredients

7.5 lbs Marris Otter
0.5 lbs Crystal 70/80
0.5 lbs Victory
0.75 lbs Special Roast
0.25 lbs Pale Chocolate

.9 oz Challenger @ 60 min
.6 oz Kent Golding @ 10 min

Mash
1.6 qt/lb
Strike 3.8 gal @ 162F
Hold Mash @ 151F for 60 minutes
Sparge with 165F water

Fermentation
Pitch yeast @ 68F
Ferment @ 64F for 18 days
Prime to 2.2 volumes of CO2

Looking at using this recipe but beefing it up a little bit in the MO department soon. What yeast did you go with? I was thinking notty?

I used WLP023, I like the profile it gives. Notty seems too clean to me.

I scaled this recipe down to a 1.5 gal batch and got the grains and hops, however I goofed and came home with nottingham yeast, should I got get the right strain or just proceed with reckless abandon?

EDIT
I went ahead with the batch and used the nottingham yeast. After activating the yeast in some warm water I was surprised to see how active the yeast was even before pitching, and already this morning I am seeing some consistent airlock action!

Also, this being my second batch, I think I must have over corrected my strike water volume too much. My first "1 gal" batch of wort barely filled the carboy 2/3, so I figured that I would add 1/2 gallon to my initial water volume that I would be closer to 1 gallon of wort...
Well I ended up with a full 1.5 gallons of wort, not sure how that happened, but Im glad I had some growlers laying around to quickly sanitize and fill!

As it stands, I have 1 gal of "Nott Bender's Oil" and 1/2 of it with 2.5g of EKG thrown into the primary. Both seem happy and cool in my fermentation chamber!

Nott Benders Oil.jpg

Last edited:
I bottled my first batch of Benders Oil this past Saturday after 21 days in primary because I was too busy the previous handful of days.

This batch was 1.5 gal split 1gal and 1/2 gal with some hop pellets added prior to fermentation.
The 1 gal batch tasted delicious and like a brown ale with a little bit of fruitiness at the end and actually had what seemed like more hop flavor than the improperly dry hopped 1/2gal which had a large "grassy" flavor about it that Im hoping will develop further while bottle conditioning.

I didnt really prepare for priming the bottles and realized I hadnt bought any priming sugars yet and only had a 1.2oz packet of "priming sugar" for a 1gal kit. I dont remember the numbers I ran but I added .26oz of brown sugar and syrup'd and divided it out

Does that sound like an appropriate amount of priming sugars since I bottled instead of kegging?

Moving forward since I have an additional 2 gallons of this to bottle this weekend, what priming agent should I look for, and should I just follow a priming calculator for "American brown ale"?

I opened the half bottle of my dry hopped version of Nott Benders Oil last weekend (one weekend early) with some friends, and it was AMAZING!
Fully carbonated, and I didnt taste any apparent off flavors from the half bottle that was full of air instead of beer.
It def had a nice english brown ale flavor and the grassy dry hoped batch was definitely more subdued and tasty, however I still think it has some room for improvement.
My friends on the other hand loved it, loved my blonde ale (kit), and even loved the wort samples from the batch I was brewing that day (single wide clone) as well as samples of the amber ale I was bottling.
I can hardly 8 more days till my batch of actual Benders Oil as well as a batch of Benders Oil with West Coast yeast to be conditioned. Then Ill be able to have a side by side by side taste test of the same beer with 3 different yeasts to see which direction I want to take this recipe (Am leaning towards a version of this beer for a wedding beer in September for my buddy)

Back