My kegged beer has a strong medicine taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlatzBeer

Reaction score
I just filled my tank today, hooked my 2 kegs up and took a pull. Man, What a strong medicine or metallic taste. This seems to happen also when I take the first pull or two of the day. Any ideas?

My only guess is old chrome faucets where the chrome has been flaked off on the inside. I'm guessing there are a few other options though.

It could be yeast settling out. I've had a slight metallic taste early in my kegs that cleared after a few pints and I'm pretty sure it was from the yeast that was still settling in the kegs. This was even after pouring off the first pint from the keg.

Could also be something in your beer lines. The beer that sits in them could be getting infected with something and then the infected beer gets cleared out by the first pint or two, so it's good for the rest of the night. But then it funks up again by the next evening.

Could also be something in your beer lines. The beer that sits in them could be getting infected with something and then the infected beer gets cleared out by the first pint or two, so it's good for the rest of the night. But then it funks up again by the next evening.

That might be. It seems that one of my beers has that taste. The other seems fine. The beer that has the taste is a keg that's almost empty. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thank god I don't have this problem very often.

have the lines ever been in contact with chlorinated sanitizers? that would be my first bet

Back