The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if it's even possible to discuss this without it degenerating into finger pointing and name calling but... How is it that we're left with these two candidates that represent so much of what is wrong in this country?

Please no soap box rants. You're not going to change anyone's mind about the evil opposition.

Not getting into political anything, but it does make you wonder if our previous Presidents would have been elected in this type of information and media environment. I mean, think about all the stuff that has come out about our previous presidents, and imagine them campaigning the way our current candidates do.
I'm looking at you JFK.

Yup. 80 degrees and no Yooper to be found. That's the Presidential range with Mt Lafayette hiding Mt Washington on the right

ooo.jpg

Nice view. Looks like a sweet place to spend a crisp and sunny fall day. I'd love to throw darts at those greens.

The pic got compressed by the website and doesn't do it justice. It's a nicely designed mountain golf course. There's some good elevation changes but it doesn't get circus like. It lays into the mountains perfectly. Plus in the final weeks of being open you only pay for the cart $25.

You have to take advantage of catching an Indian Summer day. The only bad thing is there's nothing else to do at night. We got banned one time from the club house bar because we racked up a huge bar tab the first night keeping them open during the world series. We weren't loud just kept the bar open right up until the usual closing. There are some nice condos to rent on site tho which you could create your own bbq/ cookout

Yup. Other side of the range just south of Easton http://www.owlsnestresort.com/golf

We got teamed up with a bunch of guys that run Loon during the winter. The boss played in our group. He pointed out all the peaks and knew all the trails.

I'd recommend the clubhouse just to sit out on the adirondack chairs and enjoy some cheap drinks during happy hour.

Aah. I was also trying to find an article on the "Big Flood" they had a while ago and ran across an article about Nicklaus Design redesigning the course. A hurricane that destroyed The Alchemist's original brewery also took away the lower 9 of Owl's Nest due to the river running thru it. I use to play the course at least 2 times a year when I lived in NH. This is the first time in a long time since they closed temporarily due to that flood that I've been back.

There was talk before about putting in another 18 before that flood. I noticed some construction and remember someone mentioning that Nicklaus design just got involved involved this year. I wonder if they're responsible for more holes or changing the layout. There's a plus and minus with Nicklaus courses.

Owl's nest is a mountain course and I wouldn't say a resort course. There's always a problem with resort courses being too easy. Although temperatures and scores did break 80 ;)

There was a small damn on the other side of the mountain that regulated the river. I was up there just before Irene really hit and that thing was in real trouble. I bet that thing got destroyed taking out everything downstream.

That web page is spooky cool - for some reason I have Chrome auto-running videos (gotta fix that) and the page opened with the drone shot. Pretty course.

My scratch-'cap BIL plays a few courses near our place in Easton - one is over in Bethlehem, another near Bretton Woods/"Medicare Mountain" (inside skier joke ;)) and the other near Gorham.

Me, otoh - a total hacker - might be cajoled to play nine at the Sunset Inn course (Sugar Hill) - which frankly has the best views of any of them...

Cheers!

I've been wanting to play the courses at Bretton Woods but have never been able to sync it up. I see some great deals for the hotel but something always gets in the way. Some day.

Smoking ribs and brewing the Tallywacker with Spawn 1 and the guy from her group home. The great nonalcoholic beer experiment is today. Got to pas the time till 430 somehow

That sounds great! I really want to hear about the NA beer brewing, because I would like to try it. It wouldn't have to be NA, but even a <1% ABV beer (but not a British mild) would be awesome to have. I'd go with a hoppy beer, of course, for my household and that seems to be even more difficult than I imagined to get right.

Could you ferment out and then slowly raise the temp back up to 180, hold for a few min and then re-chill to evap off the alcohol?

I don't know. I know the boiling point of ethanol is 173ish but my understanding of chemistry is that while the boiling point of ethanol may be lower than that of water, when they are together the boiling point would be somewhere in between. So I'm not sure what temperature would be effective.

Also, I'm afraid of oxidation and loss of hops flavor. I could dryhop after the fact, in the keg, but I'm not sure what sort of flavor I'd end up with. I guess I could do it to 1-3 gallons of regular IPA or APA, and see but I was thinking maybe building a recipe from the ground up to be "neutered" would be the way to go.

I don't have to worry too much about the alcohol since it's not for people with substance abuse issues; it's more than I want to enjoy a few beers and still be able to pick up the grandsons or have them sleep over or to operate a chainsaw without being impaired. To that end, if the only way to make a good drink is by making it, say, 2.5%, I would do that.

When Paul's daughter started talking about the guy who loved beer but needed a non-alcoholic beer to brew, that got my wheels turning here.

I don't know. I know the boiling point of ethanol is 173ish but my understanding of chemistry is that while the boiling point of ethanol may be lower than that of water, when they are together the boiling point would be somewhere in between. So I'm not sure what temperature would be effective.

Also, I'm afraid of oxidation and loss of hops flavor. I could dryhop after the fact, in the keg, but I'm not sure what sort of flavor I'd end up with. I guess I could do it to 1-3 gallons of regular IPA or APA, and see but I was thinking maybe building a recipe from the ground up to be "neutered" would be the way to go.

I don't have to worry too much about the alcohol since it's not for people with substance abuse issues; it's more than I want to enjoy a few beers and still be able to pick up the grandsons or have them sleep over or to operate a chainsaw without being impaired. To that end, if the only way to make a good drink is by making it, say, 2.5%, I would do that.

When Paul's daughter started talking about the guy who loved beer but needed a non-alcoholic beer to brew, that got my wheels turning here.

I would think heating it would drive off oxygen no?

Back