beer products for wine products

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachedBumm

Reaction score
didnt find a sticky and a search returned no results

can i use certain beer brewing products like the auto siphon, hydrometer and bottler or does everything really need to be changed out? i understand the fermenters and the carboys but for something that the final product is passing through then immediantly rinsed out and cleansed does it really matter or is this a ploy by the retailers?

All hydrometers measure SG, so that should be fine. By bottler do you mean the filler tube with the spring valve thingie? And your autosiphon should work just fine. Unless you're fishing for an excuse to get some spares.

I don't really worry too much about flavors leaching into my plastic bucket between batches... The wort or must isn't going to be sitting in there long enough (then again, My taste buds aren't that discerning, so I don't know) Same thing with carboys.

I use my equipment for both. The main concern is for the plastic fermenting buckets absorbing flavors of beer left for weeks. Anything made of SS or glass will not absorb any flavors at all (carboys, spoons, hydrometer, etc.) I have no problem using my siphon equipment for both as the wine or beer passes through the tube and only has a few minutes contact time at the longest point, however I also cleanse and sanitize as if I were to perform surgery in my kitchen later that day. I've never had a problem, but maybe one of these brave souls that let their beer ferment in the bucket for a 6-8 weeks at a time having done dozens of batches in a single bucket may tell you differently.

If the only thing you are worried about is the fermenting buckets...then just use the carboys. I guess I wouldn't worry to much about the equipment, unless something you use had a noticeable scent.

sounds good, thanks for the responses. i'll probably just pick up an extra carboy then so as not to keep my only one occupied for a length of time.

Yep... everything crosses over except you'll need a corker for wine bottles (unless you want to bottle in beer bottles). The biggest concern I have doing both is the LONG secondary and bulk aging in a Carboy will put it out of commission for beer for a while.

Back