Help with first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about all the sours you all have been making and really want to make one.

However I'm torn between what to make.

First off is a Flanders which I've read has cherry undertone? Which sounds amazing...and this is the recipe I have for one:

Code:
Weyermann Vienna			6 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Pilsner			3 lbs, 8 oz
Muton's Torrified Wheat			1 lbs, 8 oz
Aromatic				1 lbs, 8 oz
Caramel Vienne				1 lbs, 8 oz
Special B				0 lbs, 8 oz
Hallertau Pellets, German		2 oz @ 120 mins
Wyeast Labs Roeselare Ale Blend		1 ea

But then I read about Wyeast Labs Brettanomyces claussenii - Private Collection and that it has tropical fruit and pineapple overtones...and that gets my mouth watering.

So I ask, can I use both? Will that work?

I was thinking to add the PC in when I move the batch to the secondary.

Thoughts?

-Jay

Sounds like a good plan, and it looks like a solid recipe. Roeselare already has Brett B and Brett L (I believe) so the C will certainly add something to the character. I’d probably just add the Brett C along with the Roeselare in primary so it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle. Some oak in secondary is another common addition to Flanders Reds, 1-2 oz of French oak is about right in my experience.

Good luck, do your best not to take too many samples, and try to keep the beer in the 60s through the year or two of aging it will take.

This style the recipe doesn't make a big difference in the out come of the beer. So anything goes for the recipe. The big problem is that this beer will be ready to drink in 2 years. I would add about 8 oz. of malodextrin to the recipe like the lambic brewers do to feed the bugs for that 2 years. This is my favorite beer style and the 2 years is real if you want to make a great flanders.

Back