Few lingering questions on repitching on cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be brewing next week. I had been reading up on yeast, and how many advocate "reusing yeast." Two of the beers I'm planning to make use the same WhiteLabs yeast. My plan is to rack to secondary and brew beer #2 on same day, and pour cooled wort on top of beer #1's cake I leave in the fermenter.

Here are my lingering questions:
1. do i aerate my wort prior to putting in primary? This is only my 2nd batch ever (major noobie). Last time I aerated in primary for while, then pitched my yeast. If I do, should I xfer chilled wort from brewpot to some other (sanitized) container to aerate? I can't imagine aerating in my brewpot. Thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

2. The beer #1 is slated to be an AHS Session Brown Porter. (I wanted something that would mature quickly...my first batch is going fast...). Beer #2 is AHS Black Ale. Will I have a high risk of off flavors with the Black Ale wort on top of the Porter cake?

3. If I carefully resanitize and replace the fermentation lock on the carboy after racking to secondary, how long will the cake be ok in the primary before I need to pour Beer #2's wort on top? If there's a space of 3-5 hours, would that still be ok?

4. Finally, here's the order of work I've pieced together - can someone confirm this regimen? Sorry, I've searched the forums and read a lot, but haven't found and exact order for this process...
a. rack Beer #1 from primary to secondary (or to bottle bucket if kit instructions indicate bottling)
b. resanitize and replace primary's fermentation lock
c. bottle (if indicated)
d. brew Beer #2, chill to fermentation temp
???e. aerate???? (again, trying to figure out how to do it. Last time I shaked the carboy back and forth for a long time. My carboy will be unavailable since Beer #1 yeast cake will be in there...)
f. pour into primary, resanitize fermentation lock, and wait.
g. relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew :mug:

Thanks for any direction you can provide, and I appreciate your patience with me, a super newbie...

Back