Wine Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughn

Reaction score
How much do most vineyards sell their used wine barrels for? I am planning on calling some of the local vineyards close by to see if i can get a hold of one. I just want to know a ball park figure of what everyone has paid for theirs. Cheers!

Paul

Most common I've heard is in the 75-100 dollar range. If you don't buy them they just chop them in half for planters which sell for about 40 each I think.

I would Kilted's suggestion and contact them and explain the situation, that way maybe they can arrange to give you one right after they drain it. Maybe even at a discount.

Most common I've heard is in the 75-100 dollar range. If you don't buy them they just chop them in half for planters which sell for about 40 each I think.

Totally off topic, but SWMBO and I were at HD a few weeks ago looking at planters. We saw the barrels and they were listed as bourbon barrels. I was curious if they were really, so I went to check them out, put my head down in it, took a deep breath in...yep, they were bourbon barrels alright!

:ban:

free! leak testing now. its an innerstave barrel. I'm not sure how that will effect things.

IMG_3049.JPG

That's interesting Chester. If I'm reading that site correctly the barrel itself is not Oak, just the staves themselves? What is the barrel made of? What was it used for prior? More importantly, where'd ya get it!?!?!

That's interesting Chester. If I'm reading that site correctly the barrel itself is not Oak, just the staves themselves? What is the barrel made of? What was it used for prior? More importantly, where'd ya get it!?!?!

The barrel is an american oak barrel from Seguin Moreau. It has dates of 8-03 and 8-05 burned into the head from innerstave. they just remove the head and put in new toasted oak ribs in the inside held in place by a plastic rod. It gives that new barrel taste to old barrels without all the scraping.

I had never heard of this till today. I was peering into the barrel and saw a hose clamp and one of the plastic rods. I went "great, what is this in my barrel?" but you can see it what it is in the picture on this page Innerstave Products -Barrel Innerstave that is looking into a barrel with the head off.

the barrel smells pretty good. It has had malbec and merlot in it by the chalk markings.

As far as where I got it, my parents own a winery :D

I would say avoid the innerstave barrels. Its gonna be impossible to clean, especially with fruit in it... anybody ever pull the head off one of these guys?

Just this past weekend a friend of mine and I went out to a local vineyard and were prepared to pay 40 dollars for a used oak barrel. By the end of the conversation the vinter was so excited he traded it to us for 5 gallons of the finished product.

Free 55 gallon previous merlot barrel.

:rockin:

We paid $120 for ours. A bit steep, but it is French oak and they cleaned/hydrated it for us the night before we went to pick it up. It is amazing how much better the Flanders Red in there tastes compared to my previous attempts.

Just this past weekend a friend of mine and I went out to a local vineyard and were prepared to pay 40 dollars for a used oak barrel. By the end of the conversation the vinter was so excited he traded it to us for 5 gallons of the finished product.

Free 55 gallon previous merlot barrel.

:rockin:

I'd rather pay the 40 dollars!

Curious...why? 5 gallon typical batch is probably gonna come in around $20 or so. Seems like a better deal to me.

$20 may be the cost of the ingredients, but think about the other stuff that goes into giving someone 5 gallons of beer 2 cases of bottles, caps, propane/gas/electricity for the brew, your time brewing, your time aging/bottling the beer, having to drive the beer back to the winery etc… For all that work even $40 is a mighty good deal assuming the beer turns out well.

Yea but oldsock they may have time to forget all about it by the time the beer's done, huh? kilted, you don't think Wyeast will forget about that 3 gallons we owe them, do you? :drunk:

Hell, I pay $15 per 750ml bottle of good Flanders Red, so that tells you how much 5gal would be worth to me! I love sharing beer, and that is obviously my plan with the 45gal of sours I currently have going, with even more to come in the next month or two.

But giving away large quantities of it while I won't be around to enjoy it with them and listen to their comments, ehhh, that doesn't sound worth $40 to me, but when you have that much (55gal in this case), I can see where it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I pulled the head off my barrel and took out the innerstave stuff. It leaked for a while after I got it all put back together but after an overnight soak it tightened back up and stopped. I bought a bung and some sod metabisulfide yesterday and will be prepping it for storage till I can figure out how and with what to fill it.

I also have the innerstave's to play with now. They are about 36x2x1/4 inch american oak strips that have been soaking in merlot for 4 years. I have about 20 of them. I was thinking I could convert a corny for fermentation and line it with them or something

Back