pitch liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
I am doing my 2nd batch and i am using Wyeast liquid yeast. I am wondering do i shake the fermenter for 5 mins w this or just throw it in and call it a day??:tank:
thanks Gary

I have a 5 day old batch that I did using Wyeast Activator. If thats what you have you should smack it, let it sit for a few hours at room temperature (you will see it expand) and then pitch it to your cooled wort. Wyeast Propogator is meant to be used with a starter.

I am doing my 2nd batch and i am using Wyeast liquid yeast. I am wondering do i shake the fermenter for 5 mins w this or just throw it in and call it a day??:tank:
thanks Gary

Cool your wort.
Add oxygen to the wort. (Shaking will do this.)
Then pitch the yeast.

Make certain you get the wort temp down to where you want it. Don't pitch too warm.

(Eventually you may want to step up your process by making a yeast starter.)

what temp is too warm to pitch?

70-75 degrees is good for ale yeast. I believe yeast dies around 120, but even if your wort isn't that warm fermentation can be very slow to start if you pitch too much over the ideal temp range.

Back