What's Brewing This Weekend? (5/5-6)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
So, what brews are on the boil this weekend? Me, I'm doing the Yukon Brewing Arctic Red from BYO tomorrow. My girlfriend did the extract w/ grains version as her first homebrew and it turned out so well that I decided to try the all-grain version. Should be interesting to compare the two.:)

Going to do my ESB #2 as a celebration of national homebrew day down at the Market Basket (my LHBS). I might pick up some stuff while i'm down there.

Rhoobarb said:
So, what brews are on the boil this weekend? Me, I'm doing the Yukon Brewing Arctic Red from BYO tomorrow. My girlfriend did the extract w/ grains version as her first homebrew and it turned out so well that I decided to try the all-grain version. Should be interesting to compare the two.:)

Rhoobarb,
I have the extract+grain version of Arctic Red in my Secondary right now, bottling early next week. How did SWMBO's brew taste when racking to secondary? Mine had a very slight sour flavor - I don't think its contaminated or anything, but needless to say I'm anxious to see how it tastes at bottling...I'm hoping the sour flavor will have dissipated in the secondary. My fermentation and secondary temps were a bit on the high side (72-74), so I'm a little paranoid about off flavors.

-Josh

I'm going to bottle my Weihenstephaner clone #2 if all goes as planned. I'll probably try and culture a bottle of La Maudite (or 4), as well. No starter started, so I probably won't brew anything.

Nothing this weekend. I'm not brewing again until probably the 22nd. And thats when I'm going to make all those WI visitors I got coming in brew with me. Or, better put, for me. I'm just going to conduct :).

Gonna do an Imperial IPA with 6 lbs dry malt, 3.3 lbs of coopers light extract, 2 lbs of grain and 7 oz of hops! Woo hoo!!!

I'm going to try to brew up this recipe saturday night.

any idea what to sub for the Clusters i don't think my LHBS carries this hop

Category
Porter

Recipe Type
Extract

Fermentables
6 lbs dark dried malt extract
1 lbs light dried malt extract

8 oz malto-dextrin powder
1 lbs crystal malt (40 L)
4 oz chocolate malt
4 oz black patent malt
1 cup light clover honey
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses

Hops
1 oz Clusters hop pellets (boil)
1 oz Cascade hop pellets (boil)
.5 oz Cascade hop pellets (finish)

Other
1 tsp gypsum
.25 tsp Irish moss (15 minutes)
.75 cup dextrose (to prime)

Yeast
Irish ale yeast culture (WYeast #1084)

Procedure
Crush grains and steep for 30 minutes in water at 158 degrees. Strain into boiling vessel and sparge with 158 degrees water. Add malt extracts, dextrin, honey, brown sugar, molasses and gypsum and bring to a boil. Add boiling hops 5 minutes into boil, Irish moss for the last 15 minutes and finishing hops in last 5 minutes. Total boil of 50 minutes. Cool to at least 68 degrees before pitching yeast. Prime with dextrose as usual.

I ain't brewing nuthin. There ain't no room in the brew fridge thanks to SWMBO's wine... it's been in there for several weeks already, and it won't be bottled for another 4 weeks, so it's just going to continue to be in my way.

I was brewing every two weeks, but now I can only do it once every three weeks. My beer brewing capacity is down by 25%! :(

Still nothin :(. All the secondaries will get bottled though. Hopefully I can get the new garage in some kind of order so that next weekend can be the inagural brew :ban:

Not brewing at my house, but I am going to go watch my new brew club
(www.colonialalesmiths.org) brew a monster Scottish Ale for big brew day 2006.

I might do some brewery maintenance. I think I'm going to bottle up the rest of the Honey Pale and let it age a bit. That way I can put the Pub Ale on gas. That baby is ready now.
:mug:

Need to buy some adjuncts so I can get brewing. I have two recipes ready, Gaelic Ale and Lake Walk, which is going to be a 10 gallon batch with half getting aged on oak chips. I just need to figure out a solution for a bigger mashtun or borrow SwAMi's.

Nothing brewing here. I work both days. :(
I may rack my Barking Dog to secondary if it's ready. If not it will have to wait until next weekend as I'll be at a conference in Long Beach CA for most of next week.

no time to brew this weekend
have to work saturday, then bottle hobgoblin clone II on sunday ,put fish from holding tanks into pond,cut grass ,weed , then pick up swmbo from a friends 2 hours away round trip sunday.
had my new turkey frier 2 weeks now and haven't had a chance to brew:(
but next week sierra nevada clone all grain on new frier:rockin:

Well the missus used up the last of my stout supply a while back and wants to do some beef and beer pies over winter so a stout will be on the go tommorrow. but to remind me of summer I'm also doing another Mango/apple cider this time with 3 times the mango! should be three times as good!

i was gonna brew up an ESB, but now that ive got the ingredients, i figured i have enough stuff to make an english ipa...hmmm

JRGSPE73 said:
Rhoobarb,
I have the extract+grain version of Arctic Red in my Secondary right now, bottling early next week. How did SWMBO's brew taste when racking to secondary? ... -Josh
No sour taste that I recall. I thought it was a bit hop-harsh when we racked, but that mellowed quite a bit over time.

It has a bit of that 'sweetness' that LMEs can bring to the party, but overall, it is very drinkable. IMHO, it will be more of an early Fall favorite. :mug:

bootytrapper said:
any idea what to sub for the Clusters i don't think my LHBS carries this hop

Your best substitution would probably be Galena, but if they don't have Clusters they probably won't have Galena either...so I'd probably try Nugget, Chinook or Columbus. You'll probably need to cut down on the amount of hops, as all three of those typically have a higher Alpha Acid content than Cluster...so make sure you get the right AAU on those hops or you might end up with a really bitter Porter.

Good luck! :mug:

-Josh

Rhoobarb said:
No sour taste that I recall. I thought it was a bit hop-harsh when we racked, but that mellowed quite a bit over time.

It has a bit of that 'sweetness' that LMEs can bring to the party, but overall, it is very drinkable. IMHO, it will be more of an early Fall favorite. :mug:

Early fall eh? Well maybe I'll have to let some of them bottle condition for a few months...I would say cracking one open on a cool September day definitely fits the style...and hopefully it will be mighty tasty after aging a bit, maybe even get rid of some of the sourness (if it's not gone already)...thanks for the input, and best of luck on the AG version. Let me know how it turns out!

JRGSPE73 said:
Your best substitution would probably be Galena, but if they don't have Clusters they probably won't have Galena either...so I'd probably try Nugget, Chinook or Columbus. You'll probably need to cut down on the amount of hops, as all three of those typically have a higher Alpha Acid content than Cluster...so make sure you get the right AAU on those hops or you might end up with a really bitter Porter.

Good luck! :mug:

-Josh

Yeah, what he said :cross: You can also use Northern Brewer in a pinch... anything that could be considered a "well rounded, mild bittering hop," whatever that translates to on your palate.

I love Clusters; if you've never used 'em, IMO might be worth a trip to another store if there's one nearby to get them. Generally Clusters are about 8% AAU, so adjust your amounts accordingly if you go with a different strain.

On the subject of Cluster, and this weekend's brewing... I think my Clusterfuggled ESB is getting the go, if I can manage a trip to the LHBS at some point. Otherwise my equipment will be dry.

I brewed on Thursday night, so I'm not brewing this weeked. Tonight, while I'm at class, Tracey is taking Miles to my mom's house where he's going to spend the night. Then she and I are going out to PARTY.

Right now I have a mead and Lazy Monk fermenting and I have plenty of beer from my last couple of batches still. I've got a couple of cases of beer that I need to drink through by the time I bottle the Monk and start the 80/-.

Brewing a SNCA clone either today or tomorrow. Cheese, your gunna make a lot more friends with that avatar then the last one. :D

MrSaLTy said:
Brewing a SNCA clone either today or tomorrow. Cheese, your gunna make a lot more friends with that avatar then the last one. :D

What recipe did you end up going with?
Did you use replicator or anything to figure the IBUs? Just wondering because the SNCA clone in that one thread you asked about (if you are using that recipe) may have been a bit underhopped for a true SNCA. next time I do it I'm adding a little more bittering hops.

I'm using your recipe. The chinook I have is 15AA though and yours says 13 so that may help. Although the centenniel I have is lower then yours but that is added later. How would you change it? Thanks dude.

EDIT:

Your recipe has

1oz chinook 13aa @ 60
1oz centenniel 10.5aa @10
1oz cascade @5.7aa @10
plus dry (which doent add to bitterness)

my hops are

chinook 15AA
centenniel 7.7AA
cascade 7.1AA

promash puts that at about 68 IBU

if that helps

Dude said:
What recipe did you end up going with?
Did you use replicator or anything to figure the IBUs? Just wondering because the SNCA clone in that one thread you asked about (if you are using that recipe) may have been a bit underhopped for a true SNCA. next time I do it I'm adding a little more bittering hops.
Beer Captured has 47 IBU for their SNCA clone...so that's underhopped for a real SNCA?

Cheesefood said:
I brewed on Thursday night, so I'm not brewing this weeked. Tonight, while I'm at class, Tracey is taking Miles to my mom's house where he's going to spend the night. Then she and I are going out to PARTY.

Right now I have a mead and Lazy Monk fermenting and I have plenty of beer from my last couple of batches still. I've got a couple of cases of beer that I need to drink through by the time I bottle the Monk and start the 80/-.
Wow! She looks so much thinner in that shot. I think that is her better side. :D

El Pistolero said:
Beer Captured has 47 IBU for their SNCA clone...so that's underhopped for a real SNCA?

Yeah, the SN website says 62--personally I think it is even more.

MrSaLTy said:
I'm using your recipe. The chinook I have is 15AA though and yours says 13 so that may help. Although the centenniel I have is lower then yours but that is added later. How would you change it? Thanks dude.

EDIT:

Your recipe has

1oz chinook 13aa @ 60
1oz centenniel 10.5aa @10
1oz cascade @5.7aa @10
plus dry (which doent add to bitterness)

my hops are

chinook 15AA
centenniel 7.7AA
cascade 7.1AA

promash puts that at about 68 IBU

if that helps

That looks good.

Back