NB Phat Tyre Extract w/ New Belgium Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built my FT yeast starter up nicely....don't have time to brew this week though :(

I racked my FT clone last night after letting it ride out in primary for about 2 weeks. It was a really long fermentation, likely because my temp was probably more like 65 degrees instead of 68 throughout most of the fermentation time. It was already loooking pretty clear. Looked and smelled great. Going to let it sit in secondary another two weeks and then bottle.

I washed the yeast and have a quart jar in the fridge right now. I didn't have any pint jars (otherwise I followed the directions in Bernie Brewer's excellent thread). First time washing yeast so hopefully it works out. I'm planning a brown ale to brew sometime next month, maybe throw in a little biscuit malt, and hopefully can use the Fat Tire yeast.

Does anyone know if any stores still have some of the fat tire yeast for sale? I just did a clone using california ale yeast, so I would kinda like to do another with the right stuff.

Jonnio said:
Does anyone know if any stores still have some of the fat tire yeast for sale? I just did a clone using california ale yeast, so I would kinda like to do another with the right stuff.

NorthernBrewer does!

chase said:
NorthernBrewer does!

Awesome - Thanks for the tipoff. I ordered some today, I am thinking about just making a big starter to harvest this and either freeze or refrigerate it.

skybrew said:
Sorry the furthest east they go right now is Chicago.

They do distribute in Chicago, but that is the only place in Illinois. I live about 3 hours south of Chicago, and it is nowhere in site. I think New Belgium convinced their distributor to at least sell it in Chicago. F'ing distributors.

chase said:
They do distribute in Chicago, but that is the only place in Illinois. I live about 3 hours south of Chicago, and it is nowhere in site. I think New Belgium convinced their distributor to at least sell it in Chicago. F'ing distributors.

haha, it's all over here in Iowa, and you're probably closer to Iowa than to Chicago!

Scimmia said:
haha, it's all over here in Iowa, and you're probably closer to Iowa than to Chicago!

Well I may end up at the University of Iowa for grad school, so...

I guess it won't be a problem then.

chase said:

Its all over northern Illinois for the most part. They have it in most of the big chain grocery stores in Rockford.

jvh261 said:
Its all over northern Illinois for the most part. They have it in most of the big chain grocery stores in Rockford.

WTF??? That's ridiculous. Why can't they sell it down here?

I miss Fat Tire out of the keg.....I need to go back to the brewery...as I sit here in my New Belgium hoodie :D

amishland said:
so should I consider adding 3oz of biscuit malt to my steeping grains in my NB PT kit?

mine had 3 oz in it, and i did not notice any biscuit taste. I'll probably go up to 6 - 8 oz next time i brew it.

I would go 1/2 pound on the biscuit. For the brewer whose kit contained Liberty, that would be a great substitute for Willamette. In fact, New Belgium uses it quite heavily in their 2 Below seasonal brew which is, basically to my tastes, a Fat Tire base with additional toasted barley and Liberty hops for aromatic and dry hopping. Liberty is a very very nice aromatic hop.

I'm still trying to get the perfect Fat Tire Clone with AG. Many brewers here have a weird snobbishness against Fat Tire, but that biscuit aroma you get when you have the pint glass tilted just so and you exhale across the brew, causing a little ripple, that aroma just before taking a drink...heaven, and then the taste of what you just smelled. Man. I can down a 6 pack of this in short order. I have to explain to SWMBO, I don't have a drinking problem, I just love the taste of this beer. I'd drink just as much, if not more, it if it was non alcoholic.

I have just popped the top on my second one tonite while checking on the 3 tiral of cloning this brew...... I agree with you on the biscuit..... However I think this time I might be close as I had 3 hop additions in this batch.... I will let you know how it turned out.....

Willamette .75oz 60 minutes
Fuggles .75oz 20 minutes
Fuggles .33oz 5 minutes

DRAGGER.....

This is all that came with my kit, what should I change to best clone my fat tire?
Sounds like 1/2# of biscuit malt would be a start

Kit Inventory

Specialty Grains

* 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
* 0.50 lbs. Briess Caramel 60

Fermentables

* 6 lbs. Amber Malt Syrup
* 1 lb. Pilsen DME

Boil Additions

* 0.5 oz. Summit (60 min)

Yeast

* Wyeast #1792 Fat Tire Ale Yeast. This eagerly-anticipated Wyeast VSS release is the proprietary strain used by New Belgium Brewery in their cult favorite Fat Tire Amber Ale. Flocculation: low. Apparent attenuation: 73-77%. Optimum temperature: 65-72.

Which kit is that? Only .5 oz of hops fro the length of the boil ? Its not a hoppy brew, but that seems way low. IBUs will be next to nothing. Take a look at a few of the other clone recipes floating around. The IBUs should be in the 20 -30 range.

Yes, at least 3 oz. of biscuit malt is recommended. I don't see how these clone kits could not include the biscuit malt. Pretty much one of the defining characteristics of fat tire if for the aroma alone. Though maybe the fat tire yeast makes up for it. I've yet to taste mine. I'm planning on bottling it this weekend.

They get away with it by including Victory, which is very similar to Biscuit (it's the American version). I even read something about New Belgium using Victory, but it wasn't anything solid.

My LHBS has a clone kit with these ingredients...what do you think?

6 lbs Muntons Light LME
0.50 lb. Dingemans Victory
0.50 lb. Special Roast
0.50 lb. Briess Carapils malt
0.50 lb. Weyermann Light Munich malt
0.50 lb. Weyermann Cara Red
.5 oz Willamette pellet hops (Bittering)
.33 oz Fuggle pellet hops (Flavor)
.5 oz Fuggle pellet hops (Finishing)
1 tsp. Irish moss
2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Wyeast 1056

looks good to me. Special roast = biscuit.

I didn't know that victory was an american version of biscuit. I learn something everyday.

jvh261 said:
looks good to me. Special roast = biscuit.

Actually, Special Roast is about 50L, Biscuit is around 25L, so they're not the same. Special Roast is supposed to give some biscuity flavor, though.

Here is the last one I did I was mistaken on the hop additions posted earlier.... I will edit that post.....

DRAGGER.....

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Fat Tire
Brewer: DRAGGER
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (48.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 59.74 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.99 %
0.12 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
0.75 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.33 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Los Angeles, CA (West) Water
1 Pkgs Fat Tire (Wyeast Labs) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

racked mine to secondary last night after two weeks in primary. gravity was at 1.046

drank a glass and it tasted great!

can't wait to get this stuff kegged...

Here is the current schedule unless the gravity says otherwise.....

1/5/2008 - Primary fermentation (7 days at 68.0 F)

1/12/2008 - Secondary fermentation (21 days at 68.0 F)

DRAGGER.....

jvh261 said:
Which kit is that? Only .5 oz of hops fro the length of the boil ? Its not a hoppy brew, but that seems way low. IBUs will be next to nothing. Take a look at a few of the other clone recipes floating around. The IBUs should be in the 20 -30 range.

The kit I bought came from northern brewer.

Bottled mine last night. No pics since my batteries weren't charged, but it was very clear, a beautiful shade of amber and smelled great.

It went 14 days in primary, 12 days in secondary. Went from an OG of 1.054 to a FG of 1.013.

I used YooperBrew's clone recipe as the basis and only changed a few things.

Here is what I did:
------------
5 gallon batch: 2.5 gallon boil.

Steeping Grains:
.75 lb. Crystal (60L)
.25 lb. Victory
6 oz. Caramunich
3 oz. Special Roast

steeped up to 155 degrees and held for 15-20 mins. Removed grains, brought to a boil, removed pot from the flame and added:

7 lbs. Ultralight Liquid Malt Extract

stirred until dissolved, returned to flame and brought back to a rolling boil. Added:

.75 oz. Northern Brewer (7.5% AA) 60 min.
1 oz. Hersbrucker (3.3% AA) 15 min.
.50 oz. Willamette (4.5% AA) 5 min.

Cooled wort in an ice bath. Topped off to 5 gallons in the fermenting bucket with cooled filtered (Brita pitcher) tap water. Aerated by shaking vigorously as much as humanly possible and pitched the Wyeast Fat Tire Ale yeast.

After 2 weeks in primary and 12 days in secondary, bottled it in stubby Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale bottles. Yield was 49 bottles.

my first homebrew was the AHBS extract kit w/ the nottingham dry yeast. a friend was in town from crested butte, co and told me that he honestly thought mine tasted better than FatTire:rockin: IMHO 1554 is far more tastier than FatTire. my AHBS 1554 clone will be at 3 weeks bottle conditioning tomorrow--im excited.

So wait... is the New Belgium yeast still available from Northern Brewery? I'd LOVE to brew this one...

BeachBumDeac said:
So wait... is the New Belgium yeast still available from Northern Brewery? I'd LOVE to brew this one...

I ordered some last week, so it should be. I am thinking about just making a big starter and freezing it off into vials so that I have a good supply of this over the next couple years :)

Back