How much thyme will this take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

declanhalpin

Reaction score
The whole time/thyme pun never gets old, does it?

Anyway, I'm brewing a wit this weekend and plan to add either regular thyme or lemon thyme. My question is how much? I've looked around and it looks like about an ounce at the end of the boil (5mins?) for a 5 gal batch. I have access to fresh or dried.

Tax!

All but one of my beers has been thymeless (I'm here all week), but here's my thoughts. 1oz dried is sort of a nefarious concept. If it was dried recently, that's potent stuff. If it's been on your spice rack since you got it as a wedding present 7 years ago, not so potent. I would add around .5oz fresh once the wort has cooled to 180ish and let it steep for 10-20 minutes. If you decide it needs more after fermentation is complete, make a tea. I should add that I've already brewed a beer I've named Revenge of The Herbs, so you'll have to find your own name for this sucker.

What you might also do is start some thyme steeping in vodka the same day that you brew. Then when you get to bottling day, if you feel the beer needs more thyme character than you got from your whirlpool addition, you have a solution at hand.

Good thyming can be tricky, so go gentle on it to start.

Back