beer in air lock, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I just checked my primary and the airlock has brown water in it, I can tell the beer has made its way to the airlock water. what should I do?

Just pull it, clean it, reinstall it, add sanitizer water to it again and done. I usually keep some sanitizer in a spray bottle and spray down the stopper and airlock before pulling to insure nothing creeps its way in, but you will be fine pulling it.

Mouth to airlock before the beer gets wasted.

I am guessing you need a blowoff tube and perhaps a look at the temp. I pretty much put a blow off tube in everytime. It only takes one time for a krousen explosion in the wifes closet to really piss her off

Yeah great points made about using a blow off tube next time. A clogged airlock = not a good time. Blow off for the first few days of fermentation, put the airlock on after the main activity is over.

I have also destroyed a closet with a clogged airlock.

I dont think too much got into the airlock, the water level was below the inlet tube, my main concern was having it go back into the wort, I dont think that hapened.

This is my firs IPA I cant believe the activity, It is on day 3 and its still going crazy! I think my issue was that I filled the 6.5 gallon bucket to 6 gallons of wort.

I put a new sanitized airlock in and will watch this over the next 24 hours to see if a blow off tube is needed. I think I'm past the need for that, but who the hek knows. There's somthing to be learned every day!

Thanks for the pic, great idea, I never thought about pluging the hose into the actual airlock. I think I might be past the concerning stage. its been 3 days I think things should be slowing down, but i am definatly keeping an eye on it.

I have only had a couple beers do this...out of 10. I have not installed a blow off yet and probably will not. I try and ensure that my ale pale has enough head space. Although, if your constantly having the same result, do a blow off.

I keep a spare airlock soaking in starsan so I can do the switcharew in about 5 seconds.

Latest posts

Back