Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerncod

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forums, so please bare with me as I am relatively new to beer brewing, although I have made wine a few times in the past.

I have just transferred my first batch of beer from the fermentation bucket to a glass carboy (after 1 week). It looks kind of murky at the moment which I believe is normal?

My question is this:

Before bottling the beer I would like to clarify it. I do not want a bunch of sediment on the bottom of the bottles. I realize, however, that you need viable yeast cells to provide carbonation. Could anyone suggest a technique that would allow for as little sediment in the bottles as possible? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

RB

Patience and care when racking are all that is needed. Let your beer sit in the carboy undisturbed for two weeks, then be very careful when you rack it out of the carboy and into your bottling bucket. This is how I do it and I have very little sediment in my bottles.

Some folks like to add gelatin to the carboy, but I've neve done that. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

What he said above...plus...

As the yeast falls out of suspension your brew will begin to look darker when in reality it is getting lighter.

When racking to the bottling bucket don't get too greedy and leave some brew in there above the sediment. The less sediment you transfer the less there will be in the bottle.

If it doesn't clear up in 2 weeks then I would recommend using gelatin.

Welcome! :D

Thanks for your prompt input, it is greatly appreciated. I have never used gelatin in this context before, could anyone give a brief rundown of the procedure or suggest some reading?

Best,

RB

When siphoning out of my bucket to the carboy, or from carboy to the bottling bucket I use my autosiphon with the cap left on the bottom. Just be careful when you put your autosiphon in the brew and let it rest gently on top of the sediment. You should be fine. An autosiphon is a great buy.

1 TBS gelatin mixed in 1 C water and warmed on the stove. Some people pre-boil their water. I don't.

Don't get it too hot. Just enough to dissilve the gelatin.

Then pour it in the carboy. It should work overnight, but giving it 2 days works also. :D

Will using gelatin have any affect on the carbonation process?

Thanks again for all of the information!

-RB

1 teaspoon, a tablespoon is far more than is necessary. I normally use half a teaspoon for 5 gallons. You'll know when it's ready because the solution will turn perfectly clear when the gelatin 'goes off'. Cool the flask in some water after that and add it to your beer. Wait 3 days, then bottle it or put it in a keg or whatever you do with your beer.

Back