Froach brew needs Heather Blossoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff48

Reaction score
OK I admit the idea of a pre-roman British Ale is probably the most appealing part of this project. I have what looks to be a decent recipe but it requires 2 lbs of Heather Blossoms. I have done a google search and not had very much luck, unless you count Broom Heather ( a rather sick smelling relative of erica vulgarus (sp?). So 2 questions

1. Has anyone tried to build one of these (AG, PM or Extract) and
2. Does anyone have a source for the flowers

Thanks

Thanks Guys, This place is terrific. My recipe is straight out of the Clone Book so if you guys have any suggestions I am more than willing to listen.

With the recipe I made, I used 4 ounces of dried blossoms. So that should be all you need.

This beer looks cool while fermenting (I used a better bottle), it has a purple hue. It will taste like crap until it is aged though.

Jeff48 said:
My recipe is almost straight out of the Clone Book so if you guys have any suggestions I am more than willing to listen.

Here is a modified ProMash printout of my slightly modified recipe. I understand that this can be done without any hops at all. Any recommendations--to hop or not?

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.80 Anticipated OG: 1.056 '
Plato: 13.71 Anticipated SRM: 6.9
Anticipated IBU: 18.3 Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Recommended
--------------
OG=1.050-53---FG=1.011-13--- IBU=17---SRM 6.5----5.1 ABV

Grains/Extracts

Amount Name
----------------------------
3.25 lbs. Muntons DME - Light
0.25 lbs. Crystal 55L
3.30 lbs. Muntons LME - Light

2.00 lbs. Heather Tips

Hops

Amount Name
---------------------------
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K.
0.50 oz. Brewer's Gold

Yeast
-----

White Labs Liquid Irish Ale Yeast

Notes
----
Steep grains in 1/2 gallon of 150 degree
water for 20 minutes, sparge with 1/2 gallon of 150 degree water. Add 1/2
gallon of fresh water and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add Extracts, Brewer's Gold Hops and 1 lb of heather blossoms. Add another gallon of water to pot and bring to boil. boil 45 minutes then add East Kent hops, 1 tsp Irish Moss and 1/4 lb of heather blossoms. Boil additional 10 minutes then add 1/2 cup of heather blossoms boil for 5 minutes. Quick cool place in fermenter add water to 5 gallons, pitch yeast when temp below 80 degrees.

3/4 cup of corn sugar as primer

I made mine without hops and it is mildly bitter and malty. If your preferences are towards real hoppy ales then by all means add the hops. Or you could make a smaller "test" batch if you have the equipment.

Good luck. :mug:

Flyin' Lion said:
With the recipe I made, I used 4 ounces of dried blossoms. So that should be all you need.

This beer looks cool while fermenting (I used a better bottle), it has a purple hue. It will taste like crap until it is aged though.

I went back to your thread but could not find your recipe although I don't think you said that it was there, I checked anyway. If you run across it please send it along. I already ordered the 2 lbs of tips ($48) so I am probably committed to the Clone Book recipe or 8 batches of yours :cross: I would love to see yours before I finally decide.

As to waiting for beers to mellow, I currently am in the process of the long wait on a couple of brews (Moondust and Andy Capp) and I am getting ready to wait a really long time on the German Chocolate Stout and Excalibur...... I will drink no beer before its ready...well, not very much of it.:mug:

What I meant was, the 4 ozs. should be the equivalent of 2 lbs. Just like hop pellets are more potent then fresh hop flowers.

Double check and see if you can change your order, it would suck if you're stuck with all that Heather and don't even like the beer.:eek:

I'll try and find my recipe tonight when I get home from work. :mug:

Wow,..... Really 4oz tips = 2 lbs blossoms I would have never figured that...
I was figuring that the relationship was more 1:1 like with fresh orange peel and dried orange or lemon peel. That relationship is exactly 1:1 1 tsp fresh=1 tsp dried.

I do appreciate your offer to check for the recipe once you get home. I'll check in tonite.

Thanks
Jeff

Do the blossoms include petals?

If you decide to go with hops, only use bittering and use either old hops or reduce what you would normally use. Maybe half.
You only want to slightly counter the maltiness.
It will be quite sweet for a few months, an odd sweetness almost like it's infected or gone bad.

My first one was in secondary for a couple months and a keg for another before I tried it (stored low to mid 60's) after another 2 above 70 it improved immensley.

It's basically a scottish ale with half the heather at 60 or 30 (I think I did 60) and the rest around 5min to flame out. The Heather tips (like most spices) act in the same manner as Hops as far as adding bitterness, flavor and aroma.
I used a bag (2oz I think) from Northern Brewer like the_bird said. The 2oz. is a decent sized bag.
BYO has one:
http://***********/recipe/724.html

I wouldn't mind using fresh heather in a batch, but that more than doubles the cost of the batch.

Oh yeah, I didn't hop.

Sorry for the late reply, here is the recipe I used:

1/4 pound toasted malt
1/3 pound biscuit malt
1/2 pound homemede crystal malt
1/4 pound special B malt
4 pounds Geordie Scottish Export Kit
2 pounds Munton & Fison light dry malt extract
12 cups dried heather blossoms (I used 2 oz of tips)
1 sprig dried heather for "dry hopping" (I used another 2 oz and made a tea)
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming.

There are some detailed instructions, so I'll try and find a link later (it'll be easier). I'm a tad inebriated right now.

Flyin' Lion said:
Sorry for the late reply, here is the recipe I used:

1/4 pound toasted malt
1/3 pound biscuit malt
1/2 pound homemede crystal malt
1/4 pound special B malt
4 pounds Geordie Scottish Export Kit
2 pounds Munton & Fison light dry malt extract
12 cups dried heather blossoms (I used 2 oz of tips)
1 sprig dried heather for "dry hopping" (I used another 2 oz and made a tea)
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming.

There are some detailed instructions, so I'll try and find a link later (it'll be easier). I'm a tad inebriated right now.

Thanks for the recipe. I am a well on my way to inebriation myself. Time to light up a good cigar and drop back with another Pint.....
:cross:
Looks like I will have enough heather tips for a few brews.

Thanks again and I look forward to the details whenever you get a chance:mug:

D*Bo said:
Do the blossoms include petals?

If you decide to go with hops, only use bittering and use either old hops or reduce what you would normally use. Maybe half.
You only want to slightly counter the maltiness.
It will be quite sweet for a few months, an odd sweetness almost like it's infected or gone bad.

My first one was in secondary for a couple months and a keg for another before I tried it (stored low to mid 60's) after another 2 above 70 it improved immensley.

It's basically a scottish ale with half the heather at 60 or 30 (I think I did 60) and the rest around 5min to flame out. The Heather tips (like most spices) act in the same manner as Hops as far as adding bitterness, flavor and aroma.
I used a bag (2oz I think) from Northern Brewer like the_bird said. The 2oz. is a decent sized bag.
BYO has one:
http://***********/recipe/724.html

I wouldn't mind using fresh heather in a batch, but that more than doubles the cost of the batch.

Oh yeah, I didn't hop.

Thanks, That is another good choice and since I have a ton of heather tips coming I get a chance to try a few different recipes.
I will let you know how it turns out.

mmm heather ale. a microbrewery round my parts made a heather ale and it was in my opinion a very interesting and tasty treat

Back