Blonde Ale Amarillo Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FastAndy said:
Waaaayy off topic..... How do the All Blacks look this year? Been my favorite national side for as long as I've known Rugby. Unfortunately here in the US it's hard to catch games on t.v.

more of an ice hockey fan there mate

I used Cafale US -05 Yeast. I like your recipe so much I'll brew it again this weekend. There are some local problems with Amarillo. But some store still have it.

Good choice on the yeast. I think we are all going to be having Amarillo availability issues soon.

Cheers

any updates guys? my pipeline is virtually empty so i am going to start v4 of this next weekend.

No problems yet with Amarillo here in Denver yet. I brewed a version of this, a couple minor tweaks to make it a little more lager like. Used us-05 at lower temps. Still in fermenter, will bottle Friday.

No problems yet with Amarillo here in Denver yet. I brewed a version of this, a couple minor tweaks to make it a little more lager like. Used us-05 at lower temps. Still in fermenter, will bottle Friday.

Nice, that should come out crisp and clean. Other than temps what did you tweak? I grew up in Denver, i left in 2007. Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers

I tweaked the hop addition. I'd have to check my notes for other tweaks (mash temp, etc). Also I did add one lonely ounce of biscuit, just to give it character, who knows!? Went late with the amarillo and used perle for the bittering. I will carb it to meet American premium later volume.

cublue said:
I tweaked the hop addition. I'd have to check my notes for other tweaks (mash temp, etc). Also I did add one lonely ounce of biscuit, just to give it character, who knows!? Went late with the amarillo and used perle for the bittering. I will carb it to meet American premium later volume.

The perle and Amarillo should be interesting. A handful of biscuit may be perfect. Sounds good.

Cheers

Finally got around to trying this, with a few modifications of my own. I do 40 minute boils typically, so larger hop bill, and added some munich malt. Got great efficiency so wound up .3g more. And I wanted to dry this out a bit so a pound of sugar went into the boil near the end.

Pitched my washed (not really) 1056 yeast 9 hours ago, and krausen is forming as I type, sweet.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.80 gal
Boil Size: 7.16 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 89.00 %
Boil Time: 40 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
20.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11.11 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 6.05 gal of water at 152.6 F 148.0 F

This recipe looks great! I have 4 ounces of leaf Amarillo in the freezer that I've been meaning to use. The new SWMBO is a lite beer drinker, so I have been searching for a recipe to ease her into pale ales, etc.

How do you guys think American Ale II would do here, and maybe 2 to 4 ounces of honey malt?

Waterboy42 said:
This recipe looks great! I have 4 ounces of leaf Amarillo in the freezer that I've been meaning to use. The new SWMBO is a lite beer drinker, so I have been searching for a recipe to ease her into pale ales, etc.

How do you guys think American Ale II would do here, and maybe 2 to 4 ounces of honey malt?

If you're going to use plain 2 row the honey would be great. I'm not familiar with that yeast but anything neutral ish would be fine.

Cheers!

Here's the recipe I wound up building for this. I've pulled a few pints already, needed to get it carbed up fast because it's for my New Years Eve party. It's really good so far, even so young.

The hops are dominant still but that should fade down some with more than the current 1 week of age on it hehe

Gravity wound up going to 1.010, was shooting for 1.006 by Beersmith but no biggee. The sugar was there to dry it out and crisp it up, and that combined with the gypsum (in my super soft water) gave a really nice crispness which happens to accentuate the hops as well.

Anyways, here's what I went with:

Recipe: Texas Tea
Brewer: Mike
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.16 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.80 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 89.00 %
Boil Time: 40 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 66.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.1 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 11.1 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 23.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 9.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
20.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 11.1 %
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [125.00 Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 6.05 gal of water at 152.6 F 148.0 F 60 min

^ sounds interesting. Does that much table sugar thin it out too much? I like the idea of getting it to be crisp and somewhat dry.

Cheers

Doesn't taste too thin, though I'd hesitate to say too much before it's aged a bit ;) It was sort of an experiment, I think the gypsum did more to dry and crisp up the taste than the sugar did.

Tastes good at the almost 2 weeks since brewing point, 1 week in the keg.

Thinking about doing this. Let me know what you think.

8lbs Pale 2 row
1lb Crystal 10L
8oz Honey Malt

1oz Amarillo 60min
.5oz Amarillo 5min

T-58 yeast

4.7% Est ABV
35 IBU
1.046 OG
1.009 FG

Mash
148* 90min

I do BIAB. Haven't done it yet. What do you think about the Honey malt and T-58 never used the Honey malt before. T-58 just sounds like it would be interesting.

Thinking about doing this. Let me know what you think.

8lbs Pale 2 row
1lb Crystal 10L
8oz Honey Malt

1oz Amarillo 60min
.5oz Amarillo 5min

T-58 yeast

4.7% Est ABV
35 IBU
1.046 OG
1.009 FG

Mash
148* 90min

I do BIAB. Haven't done it yet. What do you think about the Honey malt and T-58 never used the Honey malt before. T-58 just sounds like it would be interesting.

Honey malt is lovely and that's a good amount. Probably it'd lend itself nice here, offering a slightly sweet side to it.

My keg of this has kicked now and I ultimately found it a tad dry, so would reduce or remove the sugar, but it was still good. The hop flavor/aroma didn't stick around much past the first couple weeks though. Almost suggest dry hopping it hehe

Anyone have any updates on their versions of this beer? It's been steady in rotation at home in one incarnation or another since posting it?

Cheers!

I never posted earlier but your recipe was definitely the inspiration for this. Normally I wouldn't post modifications in a recipes thread but since you asked...

7 lb pale malt
2 lb Vienna malt
1 lb honey malt
Mashed at 151 F

0.7 oz amarillo - 60 min
0.4 oz amarillo - flameout

I figured that if I mashed a little higher I could lose the crystal and add some grains that I like.

OG was 1.055. Higher than my expected 1.049. Used washed US-05 from an Irish red. Fermented at 65 for 15 days and Kegged. Finished at 1.009.
Volume was 5.5 gallons.

Color was a very light amber, a bit darker than I'd feel comfortable calling a blonde but it didn't really matter cause I ended up dyeing the beer green and drinking it for st pattys. It was a hit with my friends The hop flavor was there, but it wasn't overpowering in any way. Very balanced.

I will try your posted recipe next to compare, and I won't be tainting it with food coloring either. I think amarillo works really well for lighter beers, thanks for the thinking this one up!

dawgmatic said:
I never posted earlier but your recipe was definitely the inspiration for this. Normally I wouldn't post modifications in a recipes thread but since you asked...

7 lb pale malt
2 lb Vienna malt
1 lb honey malt
Mashed at 151 F

0.7 oz amarillo - 60 min
0.4 oz amarillo - flameout

I figured that if I mashed a little higher I could lose the crystal and add some grains that I like.

OG was 1.055. Higher than my expected 1.049. Used washed US-05 from an Irish red. Fermented at 65 for 15 days and Kegged. Finished at 1.009.
Volume was 5.5 gallons.

Color was a very light amber, a bit darker than I'd feel comfortable calling a blonde but it didn't really matter cause I ended up dyeing the beer green and drinking it for st pattys. It was a hit with my friends The hop flavor was there, but it wasn't overpowering in any way. Very balanced.

I will try your posted recipe next to compare, and I won't be tainting it with food coloring either. I think amarillo works really well for lighter beers, thanks for the thinking this one up!

Sounds good. I think you're the second person to mention using honey malt in this thread so I'll have to try it sometime. The Vienna sounds like it would work well too.

Cheers!

I love MO and use it in a lot of beers, I just like 2 row better in this beer.

I'm planning on brewing this in mid May (with some slight changes below); I like your simple grain bill - but was also looking for that little bit of malt flavor. just happens that i bought a sack of Marris Otter.

check this out - let me know if i've strayed too far from your path; or in your opinion, will the MO do something bad to the profile here?

7lbs: 2 row pale
2lbs: Marris Otter
1lb: Crystal 20

Hops: .3oz Magnum for bittering (25IBU), 1 oz Amarillo in several late additons (.25 oz each for a total 10 IBU); and 1 oz dry-hopped.
Yeast: US-05

looking forward to this one; i've heard Amarillo is awesome.
thans
--beermethatbeer

BeerMeThatBeer said:
I'm planning on brewing this in mid May (with some slight changes below); I like your simple grain bill - but was also looking for that little bit of malt flavor. just happens that i bought a sack of Marris Otter.

check this out - let me know if i've strayed too far from your path; or in your opinion, will the MO do something bad to the profile here?

7lbs: 2 row pale
2lbs: Marris Otter
1lb: Crystal 20

Hops: .3oz Magnum for bittering (25IBU), 1 oz Amarillo in several late additons (.25 oz each for a total 10 IBU); and 1 oz dry-hopped.
Yeast: US-05

looking forward to this one; i've heard Amarillo is awesome.
thans
--beermethatbeer

That sound good. I did the recipe using just MO and it wasn't nearly as good as 2 row. I think a small addition like you're planning should give it a nice bread/toast note. The magnum sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

Cheers

I am going to do this recipe this weekend. We are using
7lbs 2-row
1lb vienna
1lb crystal 10

I am going to use a low mash like 149. to help dry it out what was your mash temp?
and using citra hops. .5 oz at 60 and .5oz at 2min
WLP001

trojandux said:
7lbs 2-row
1lb vienna
1lb crystal 10

I am going to use a low mash like 149. to help dry it out what was your mash temp?
WLP001

I usually go 148 on this beer so 149 should be good.

Cheers

Here it is right from the keg!

am beer.jpg

Tastes good, something the nor.al bmc drinker would like. I'm not a hop head by any means but would like a little more hop aroma. I did make a second batch of this in the primary still. I added a little more hops to the end of boil. I'll report back when it makes it to the keg, but overall very good job on the recipe!

Almost forgot to update here; Andy-this recipe is killer, and came out amazing! I hope i didnt deviate too far from the original intent with my slight changes (MO in the grain bill, and some Magnum for bittering)

My first time using Amarillo, and it really comes through. I dry hopped with 1oz, and boiled 1oz in 15 min additions. Nice citrus/lemon aftertaste. Might make this one to always keep on hand. Cheers!
-beermethatbeer

Glad it came out well. The magnum at the beginning may be key here. I've noticed lately that I like Amarillo for aroma much more than I do for bittering. Also, the slight addition of MO sounds great, the time I made this recipe with only MO I didn't care for it. With the amount you used i could imagine it lending a a nice toasty note to the beer.

Cheers!

I'll have to remember try magnum next time for bittering. I made this again and dry hopped with .50oz of citra. It's in the keg just not on tap yet.

shadows69 said:
The .50oz of citra hops is outstanding in this beer. On tap now and this is the best beer I ever tasted.

When did you add the citra? Glad this beer seems to be working out for most. It's such a simple base that really allows room for experimentation.

I am making this this weekend, for the first time.. racking 1 gallon onto some fresh mangoes and the rest onto 1oz Citra

Just stumbled across this thread while looking for a recipe for a lighter beer and Amarillo hops, I like the look of the original recipe and will have a bit of a play with it and post what I come up with. I've also got a bag of Citra in the freezer so might brew two of them and do one with each variety just for comparison sake. We're coming into summer here so I need some nice easy drinking beers for the warm days!

*edit* here's what I came up with, I'm doing a bastardised BIAB/cooler method and only brewing in 12 litre batches as A. that is as much as my pot can handle, and B. it gives me more experience without having to consume 20L of beer for each experiment.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/amarillo-blonde-6
OG: 1.051, FG: 1.015, 28 IBU, 5 SRM, 4.7% ABV

2.4kg Pale Ale malt 81%
280g Vienna 9%
280g Caramel 10L 9%

8g Pacific Jade 13.1% @60min
10g Amarillo 8.2% @10min
10g Amarillo @2min

US-05

My wife and I both like our beers hoppy, but I'm not sure if in this case the two later additions will be too much for this kind of beer? It seems mild compared to the last few I've brewed, but they've all be 6%+ IPAs...
The Citra are a bit stronger at 13.5%AA, so I think I'll knock the bittering addition back to 6g to keep it at 28IBU. I'm using the Pacific Jade for bittering simply because they're there, and it seems like a waste to put Amarillo in that early in the boil!

Just stumbled across this thread while looking for a recipe for a lighter beer and Amarillo hops, I like the look of the original recipe and will have a bit of a play with it and post what I come up with. I've also got a bag of Citra in the freezer so might brew two of them and do one with each variety just for comparison sake. We're coming into summer here so I need some nice easy drinking beers for the warm days!

*edit* here's what I came up with, I'm doing a bastardised BIAB/cooler method and only brewing in 12 litre batches as A. that is as much as my pot can handle, and B. it gives me more experience without having to consume 20L of beer for each experiment.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/amarillo-blonde-6
OG: 1.051, FG: 1.015, 28 IBU, 5 SRM, 4.7% ABV

2.4kg Pale Ale malt 81%
280g Vienna 9%
280g Caramel 10L 9%

8g Pacific Jade 13.1% @60min
10g Amarillo 8.2% @10min
10g Amarillo @2min

US-05

My wife and I both like our beers hoppy, but I'm not sure if in this case the two later additions will be too much for this kind of beer? It seems mild compared to the last few I've brewed, but they've all be 6%+ IPAs...
The Citra are a bit stronger at 13.5%AA, so I think I'll knock the bittering addition back to 6g to keep it at 28IBU. I'm using the Pacific Jade for bittering simply because they're there, and it seems like a waste to put Amarillo in that early in the boil!

How did this turn out with the Citra?

I dry hopped mine with .50oz of Citra. It was amazing, only problem is the Citra faded by the end of the keg. May have to up the Citra a little more.

7lbs 2-row
1lb vienna
1lb crystal 10

WLP001

Was looking for a lighter beer to try, found this thread. This grain bill is what I was thinking of, but with Amarillo hops and US-05 yeast. How did this turn out? Maybe use Magnum hops for bittering, then Amarillo for the late additions?

Back