AHS 7.9 gallon plastic bucket too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
Is the 7.9 gallon bucket they carry too big for a 5 gallon batch? Will that much headspace have a negative effect? I really wanted a 6 gallon bucket as my primary fermenter, but all they have is 7.9 gallon. That seems big to me.

it will work fine. I get 3 1/2 gallon to 5 gallon food grade buckets for free from the local grocery store delis and even store my grain long term in them.

Nope, not too big. I have had one batch in a AHS bucket blow off, in fact.

If you want 5 gallons of finished beer, you'll want to have about 5.5 gallons of wort in your fermenter.

No. For fermentation, I use the US Plastics 7 gallon bucket, and yours is only about a gallon larger. One of my motives in going to this somewhat larger bucket is revealed in the previous post: to give a taller headspace for krausen. When fermentation begins, the yeast will fill up that headspace with CO2. Once a blanket or "pillow" of CO2 is formed on top of the fermenting beer, being heavier than air, it will not move unless it is blown out or otherwise displaced. Therefore no O2 can come in contact with the beer, and you'll be fine.

Back