American Two-Row vs. Weyermann Pilsner malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Think I can use these interchangeably, perhaps for an IPA?

LHBS is out of Marris, Golden Promise and any 2-row but has some Weyermann pilsner malt. Normally I wouldn't consider it but I'm hoping to get an IPA in the pipeline before my bro from Idaho comes next month...

Not looking up the numbers but Pils is usually lighter in color than standard "2-Row", has slightly lower available sugars, and is a little more "grainy" or "husky" in perceived flavor.

But, "I" think pils is a suitable base for just about everything.

Just make sure you do a 90 minute boil. You'll need to drive off all the DMS in the pilsen. Should come out pretty good.

Man. My LHBS only ever seems to have 2 row and Maris Otter in bulk. I WISH they had Wyermann Pilsner...

Hopworks Urban Brewery took 1st place at the World Beer Cup for their IPA.

They use Canadian Pisner, Munich and CaraMunich.

I like using the Canadian Pilsner but it's a little more expensive than 2-row which I buy in bulk.

I've always associated Pils malt with a bit of a legumey (peas, lentils) flavor. Bamforth's "Brewmaster's Art" uses "beany" to describe the lightest of malts.

you could add a small amount of Munich too the Pilsner to add more of the malty toasty biscuit flavor. It would also add some color. Maybe that brings it closer to marris otter.

Back