if you dont stop me I WILL DO IT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staffVAJoe

Reaction score
so I cave had my cider fermenting for about 5 days now (cider +2lbs brown sugar + cinnamon sticks + oak chips + yeastie things ) and all looks good... ...

the voices inside my head are telling me to go to my brew cave and add an ounce of hops pellets

just dump them into the carboy and let it ride! anyone think this is an EXTREMELY bad idea?

Experimentation is always good... Right? I think you should do it. You're your own man, you don't need society telling you what to do! Hops make everything better! I add them to my cereal!

Yeah. There you go.:tank:

well Revvy, I think the Sierra Nevada celebration ale I had last night made me think it would be a good idea, since I have come to respect your opinions on brewing over the past year let me pose the question to you this way; do you think it's a bad idea or just a weird idea, will it add a hop flavor or just make it taste funny?

Thanks, Joe

That sounds like it would be a ton of different flavors at once. They may blend well, they may not. I would suggest sticking to what you have going now, and on the next batch add some dry hopping if you want, that way you can see the difference with and without.

well Revvy, I think the Sierra Nevada celebration ale I had last night made me think it would be a good idea, since I have come to respect your opinions on brewing over the past year let me pose the question to you this way; do you think it's a bad idea or just a weird idea, will it add a hop flavor or just make it taste funny?

Thanks, Joe

If you want something hoppy then brew an Ipa, like a clone for celebration. It's not even like we're talking about graf, where there is the presence of malt to be cut and balanced by the hops.

I even googled hopped ciders to see if there was any comercial examples, and there are none. And the only mention of hops and cider is with Graf, and referring back to Brandon's recipe on here.

And since you are not the first person to contemplate it, I think that if there was a chance that the combo worked, some micro cider house would be selling it by now.

It's like cooking, certain ingredients just wont harmonize together. Like using anchovies in chocolate pudding. It just seems that the flavor of the cider would overwhelmed by the hops.

And evidently I'm not the only one.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/hopped-cider-35219/

I'm all for experimentation, but I think there's a difference between experimentation and throwing things together willy nilly and seeing if they stick to the ceiling.

those pellets are going to have to be strained out after fermentation and that might be a PITA.

I would keep ur cider as-is and brew an o-graff if you want something that is hopped. You cider sounds too good to be played with at this point.

I say give it a shot, but do it with a gallon of cider and see how it comes out. No reason to risk a big batch of something you're looking forward to drinking on a whim. But by all means... do it SOMETIME! :D

Back