A day of firsts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo

Reaction score
So yes, this is another my first all grain post. Forgive me. :p

First #1: Who knew the threads on the threaded stainless nipple on a bargainfittngs.com weldless valve was so sharp? I didn't. While trying to get a good seal I got numerous small cuts on my hands and fingers. It took me a while till I checked the picture of bargainfittings to realize they sent me an extra washer. I removed the washer on the outside and viola, no leaks.

First #2: First all grain brew today. I did ok, no major errors or anything. I do think my strike temp was a little too hot. At the end of the mash temp was about 158F. Boil went fine, keggle worked great! (However I did get to very minor burns on a leg.)

First #3: No cool brew. Not by intent, just a little overlook on my part. In my process of getting all the equip mods I needed, I overlooked getting the parts to convert my IC from my kitchen faucet to a hose connection. I didn't want to bring the super hot keggle in and possible make a big mess or burn anything. So I put a lid on it, set it aside and went to clean out a nasty frig I got off freecycle. I can't believe anyone would let a frig get this dirty. So, after I cleaned it, (~3 hrs post boil) I put the keggle in the frig for the night.

After I check the grav in the morning I'll see how I did with volume and efficiency. Overall, I can't really complain. Good day.

So, I think I underestimated the boil off and trub loss. I had approx 26.25 quarts (just over 6.5 gal) going into a 90 min boil. So boil off plus trub loss was 2.5 gal. I do have a "dip tube" for lack of remembering a better term in the keggle, but it still doesn't get everything out.

I ended up with 4 gal of 1.070 wort @65F. Using Beer Smith I think my efficiency was 65%. I guess that's ok for my first all grain.

Can someone double check my #'s? 60 min mash w/ 15qt water, 4 qt mash out and 9 qt sparge. I calc'd my pre boil volume using .13 qt/lb absorption rate and came very close to what it actually was. My calc'd preboil volume was 26.44 qt and it was 26.25 qt. 90 min boil.

10lb 2 row
1.5lb crystal 60L
6 oz Crystal 80L

If I forgot anything let me know an I'll try and provide it. Thanks!

Back