Sanke Keg Top Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
Does anybody have a link to the YouTube video that shows how tho make the burner this guy is using:

watch

He says on here that he saw it on YouTube. Did a search and no luck.

I know it is load, but just curious as to a Propane version.

Thanks

Did you try looking at his other videos? That's part 3, there's gotta be a part 2 and 1 somewhere.

That said, man that looks dangerous! Better him than me.

I saw this one. There are others that show how to disassemble the dip tube assembly, so he says. Not too complicated on that part. But he also talks about a Venturi burner video

Way to much heat for brewing.:eek: If you do end up making one of these burners do some research first. Check out the blacksmithing/bladesmithing forums for this type of burner, some of them are using burners like this to melt steel. Plenty of tutorials on how to make them from simple water fittings if you look around. Be careful that you do not run your kettles dry, you could easily melt a hole through the bottom, never mind scorching your wert.

RE: Bobby M. I agree that it is not the same as a forge but the heat available through forced air induction could easily blow a hole through a dry kettle (you don't need an oxy tank to reach these temps), think of it as a cutting torch but larger. I’m just asking anyone who wants to build a burner like this to check/learn as much about them as they can and gave a direction to look for this information. Imho this is one place that pinching pennies is not warranted. There are plenty of cost effective burners already. Just preaching safety.:fro:

RE: Bobby M. I agree that it is not the same as a forge but the heat available through forced air induction could easily blow a hole through a dry kettle (you don't need an oxy tank to reach these temps), think of it as a cutting torch but larger. I’m just asking anyone who wants to build a burner like this to check/learn as much about them as they can and gave a direction to look for this information. Imho this is one place that pinching pennies is not warranted. There are plenty of cost effective burners already. Just preaching safety.:fro:

I totally agree. Just curious if there is a propane version. I hate the sound his makes much less the safety and output of it. I will go with a couple of off the shelf burners, but i was just curious. I also noticed that there must not be any such thing as Carbon monoxide in Nevada. He has that thing rockin in an enclosed garage. All open flames produce CO, doesn't he know that? Not too sure this guy is the safest guy to be around. Has he died yet? or been blown up?

Yes, propane will work better, more efficient. You would need a smaller jet though. With this style of burner you could even use veg. oil (waist oil, diesel, gasoline, sawdust maybe even grain dust) . Get it going with propane and switch over. You would need to tweak the design a little but it’s doable. :cool:

Yes, propane will work better, more efficient. You would need a smaller jet though. With this style of burner you could even use veg. oil (waist oil, diesel, gasoline, sawdust maybe even grain dust) . Get it going with propane and switch over. You would need to tweak the design a little but it’s doable. :cool:

Hey, Hey.....Watch it with the Sawdust. ;)

I'm not convinced that this type of burner would be advantageous for a home brewer. Seems to me that using a blower to force feed the burner doesn't do much more than make a lot of noise and burn a lot of fuel at the higher settings. At the lower settings it doesn't appear to perform any better than the more common burners we are all familiar with. A lot of trouble to go through just to waste more gas. There's a limit to how much heat you can transfer through the kettle bottom to the wort. More fire, at some point, won't improve performance much at all, but it will consume a lot more fuel.

I'm not convinced that this type of burner would be advantageous for a home brewer. Seems to me that using a blower to force feed the burner doesn't do much more than make a lot of noise and burn a lot of fuel at the higher settings. At the lower settings it doesn't appear to perform any better than the more common burners we are all familiar with. A lot of trouble to go through just to waste more gas. There's a limit to how much heat you can transfer through the kettle bottom to the wort. More fire, at some point, won't improve performance much at all, but it will consume a lot more fuel.

I will say that I like the infinite variability of the burner. He could have easily turned the gas down and spead the blower up to use less fuel.

it wouldn't be near as noisy without the cheap air mattress blower, in other words, with a better made blower.
-Ben

This all brings up another question. How dependent is this type of burner on the high air flow for safety? I am assuming that the power for the blower is hooked to a GFI plug.
In the set up he has in the video I picture the possibility of a boil over either tripping the GFI or shorting out the blower or just plain over heating the blower motor. If it dies what keeps the gas from back burning up the line?

This all brings up another question. How dependent is this type of burner on the high air flow for safety? I am assuming that the power for the blower is hooked to a GFI plug.
In the set up he has in the video I picture the possibility of a boil over either tripping the GFI or shorting out the blower or just plain over heating the blower motor. If it dies what keeps the gas from back burning up the line?

I imagine that the gas would keep on burning at the burner orfice although it will be an oxygen starved yellow flame.

This all brings up another question. the possibility of a boil over either tripping the GFI or shorting out the blower or just plain over heating the blower motor. If it dies what keeps the gas from back burning up the line?

That would be a scientific first to have gas burn without oxygen present up the line. A yellow flame at the point of meeting air around the orifice not counting the pressure of the gas blowing the flame away from the orifice I can understand that but not the rest of this above reply. If that was the case propane bottles would be bombs within their contained steel casing, liquid gasoline in your gas tank in every vehicle as well. Hell a internal combustion engine would run on the moon's surface why need oxygen? And they say compressed Hydrogen Tanks in cars are a safety hazard?

That would be a scientific first to have gas burn without oxygen present up the line. A yellow flame at the point of meeting air around the orifice not counting the pressure of the gas blowing the flame away from the orifice I can understand that but not the rest of this above reply. If that was the case propane bottles would be bombs within their contained steel casing, liquid gasoline in your gas tank in every vehicle as well. Hell a internal combustion engine would run on the moon's surface why need oxygen? And they say compressed Hydrogen Tanks in cars are a safety hazard?

I am sorry, but is this guy ALWAYS so condescending? What a Jerk. I asked what I thought was a legitimate question. He must really get off on talking down to people and TRYING to show how much more intelligent he thinks he is.

Get a life and again, try decaf.

I guess he will grace us on this topic with a thousand words or more about how the scientific principles of .....

Let it rip BrewBeemer.

Back