What setup do you use for experimental 1gallon AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
I'm thinking after I get my HB stockpile full again for the summer, I might try an experimental batch here and there maybe once a month or less often. Maybe a 1 gallon jug's worth including trub and airspace, so maybe a six pack worth or around that.

Since grain is cheap, and in the unlikely event that I hit onto something good that I can fine tune and scale up, I would like to avoid using extracts if possible.

So for these small experimental AG batches, what kind of equipment do you use for mashing/sparging, if it is different than Deathbrewer's stovetop system?

Huh! Just took a look Deathbrewer's system - it's pretty nifty!

If you're looking at batches that small though, I have an idea that I've been wanting to try for awhile now. Get a thermos (make sure it's at least 1.5-2L capacity) and mash in like you would normally (my general practice is 2.5L liquor /kg malt, mash around 65C for an hour). Once your mash is done, take some cheesecloth and hold it taut over the top with a rubber band; invert over your boil pot (or interim vessel) and drain. Then remove the cloth, toss in your sparge water to hit around 75C and let sit (10-20min), replace cloth and drain again (I usually rinse the grains twice with batch sparges). Then treat it like you would any other all-grain.

Since it's such a small batch cooling wouldn't take long, but if you wanted to speed it up you can use those reusable ice-pack things - submerge it in your sanitising agent first (I just use bleach for homebrewing, and then a quick rinse - I'm cheap ;) ) to sterilise, and then toss it in your boiled wort.

With this system, you'd only need one pot, and some kind of interim vessel if you're boiling your liquor and then your wort in the same pot. Like I said, I've never actually tried this, but it seems to me it'd be perfect for a little 3-4L batch!

+1 for BIAB for small AG batches.

Just plan on your efficiency being a little low, 60% or so.

TheChemist, that seems like a really nifty idea! I have a nice large thermos that I use for coffee. I pour hot coffee in it, but can't drink it until about 3 hours later. When I pour it, I still have to sip it because its so hot.

Your idea of micro batches intrigues me! I really think I am going to try this. For a person who has never done any all grain (only extract + specialty grains), think this is a good way to start? I like the ability to experiment with small batches.

As far as my thermos, may want to get another. The coffee may add an interesting flavor..

*smacks self*

Another way to do mini-mashes is with a french press - just insulate it well with a towel or something. Separation is ridiculously easy - just press down! The only downside to this is that if you don't insulate properly, your temp will fall too low. You'd also need a sizable press for it to make enough for a proper 4L batch.

I've done this before to use for priming, instead of adding sugar. I've also used it with rausch malt to add more flavour to a smoked beer I made that wasn't QUITE smokey enough. Finally, this is a fast 'n easy way to create yeast starter! It's a fun little technique to keep in mind.

snipper - I'd say just jump into the deep end of the pool and try a full AG batch! However, if you're wanting to experiment, these mini-mashes are definitely a good way to start slow if you like. As for the coffee flavour - it depends what it's lined with; if you can't smell coffee when it's empty, don't worry about it!

Just get a x gallon cooler that will fit your coffee press, heat it up with some strike + 10* water (or so) and put your press in there :)

Back