How much time on stirplate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
I built Anthony's stirplate. Once i got it working, its great! I only cooked up my second starter on it last night. There are a ton of yeasties in there right now and lots of foam. Looks ready to go. When i was just shaking the starters in the past, I would prepare them about 48 hours before pitching. Last time i used the stirplate, it looked like the starter was already calming down after 48 hours.

So do you cut a day off the starter if you are using the stirplate? Do i only need 24 hours? looks like it to me, but I'm only on m,y second starter with the plate....

I've had pretty good luck with about 36 hours on the stirplate. I make it two nights before I'm going to brew, and let it stir away for a day and a half. Then I take it off the plate and put it in the fridge the morning of the day I brew so the yeast will settle out. When I get home from work, I'll take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp while I'm brewing. By the time I decant and pitch, it's ready to go.

I've never had a batch of beer that wasn't fermenting away the morning after pitching!

-Eddie

Back