Pickup tube for boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
untitled.JPG

This is my current idea for a pickup tube in my boil kettle. I might actually use the same thing in my HLT, just modified a little bit since I wont need a hop screen.

The reason for the funky shape here is exactly that....a hop screen. Since the avail. of plug/leaf hops is so scarce these days, I will be forced to brew with pellets more than I would normally like.... since I have a pump and CFC setup, I would prefer not to junk those up with hop residue, so I am going to manuf. a hop screen when I get some free time. The bending of this stuff shouldn't be an issue but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.... I plan on connecting the tubing to a SS coupling using a brass compression fitting.

PS... I apologize for the Windows-tastic "CAD" schematic....gotta love MS Paint!!!! :mug:

I have heard guys say the pellets clog up screens sometimes. In my keggle I stir the hell out of it right at flame out and wait 20 min. Great tube pile and no hops in the fermenter. This is with a 13 gallon batch.

I have heard guys say the pellets clog up screens sometimes. In my keggle I stir the hell out of it right at flame out and wait 20 min. Great tube pile and no hops in the fermenter. This is with a 13 gallon batch.

Isn't your pickup tube sitting right in the middle of your keggle, right under the cone? How do you not it up?

Are you using a keggle?

Without a pickup tube, I would assume you leave quite a bit of wort behind post-boil....

I like the idea of using an SOS type item in place of a screen. I think I might give that a shot since it should reduce the amount of bending I have to do with the SS tubing that I don't have the tools to bend!

I use a keggle and do leave about 1/2 gallon behind with a huge hop charge and trub.

I like the pick up tube idea...just need to make it!

i made a screen that is nearly the size of the whole bottom. it works well. the main problem is cold break in combo with pellet hops, but you shouldnt have that issue.

Back