Taming Boilovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I did not have a problem with boilovers until I switched to a 150,000 BTU burner and a 15 gallon Keggle.

I start my heating with 11 gallons of run-off and it will eventually boil over everytime, killing my burner. Are there any good tips or secrets for predicting, and twarting the evil boilover?

Also does a protien rest help reduce boilovers?

thx digdan

Do you drive up to red lights at full throttle, or do you ease off the gas a bit?
Same principle with the burner. turn the gas down as it comes up to the boil.

-a.

Keep a spray bottle full of water on hand. When you see a boilover coming give it a squirt....

I skim the protien off the top which also helps

I keep an eye on the kettle when it gets close to the boil. Usually the foam starts to increase right then. When it does, I turn the flame way down and leave it there until the foam subsides. Then, when hops are added, I watch it because it tends to foam up again. I never leave a lid on it because that almost always guarantees a boil over.

ajf said:
Do you drive up to red lights at full throttle, or do you ease off the gas a bit?
Same principle with the burner. turn the gas down as it comes up to the boil.
-a.
$$ Once it starts boiling turn down the heat!

fill a spray bottle with some water and hit the foam when it rises

viola

Monster Mash said:
Keep a spray bottle full of water on hand. When you see a boilover coming give it a squirt....

I skim the protien off the top which also helps

I do both of these. I have found that once it comes uup to a boil I can throttle down a tad and then don't have to baby sit it so much.

Back