Green Flash Imperial IPA Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
This west coast iipa has got to be my favorite right now.. perfect blend of hops for my palate.. mmmmmm.

anybody have any semblance of an idea as to how to clone this delicious beer? or any of the other greenflash brews (hop head red, west coast ipa in particular)?

anybody ever have this that could maybe make a stab at it? i'm pretty new to brewing, just wondering if anybody has any ideas on this one

I've been trying to find an all-grain recipe for this for a while. This is by far my favorite beer...and its local! I'm not quite at the point to formulate my own clones, but maybe someone here can do it. Although most people probably haven't tasted it, I don't think its available too far from SD.

I've been trying to find an all-grain recipe for this for a while. This is by far my favorite beer...and its local! I'm not quite at the point to formulate my own clones, but maybe someone here can do it. Although most people probably haven't tasted it, I don't think its available too far from SD.

You'd be surprised. It is available in a lot of places. We're just lucky to be from its home town.

I love the Green Flash west coast IPA also. It is not a IIPA, but it will kick your butt after 2-3 pints. Had it on tap at Wolf Creek in Santa Clarita.

I would love to duplicate this but have not found anything on it either.

Just emailed the brewery about letting some of us homebrewers in on the recipe. Not sure if I'll get anything but if I do I'll be sure to pass it on :mug:

Although most people probably haven't tasted it, I don't think its available too far from SD.

dude i live in boone, north carolina (small town mountains, opposite end of the country) and this one place around here gets tons of green flash.. i love their stuff! the iipa is mos def my favorite beer right now, love that sh*t! the imperial stout is also very tasty, and their whole line of ipa's are perfectly hopped and balanced, imho.. mmmmmm

Just emailed the brewery about letting some of us homebrewers in on the recipe. Not sure if I'll get anything but if I do I'll be sure to pass it on

awesome man, keep us updated on this! would LOVE to be able to brew any of their beers

No still havent heard anything at all.......oh well. I'm not holding my breath but if I get anything I'll post it in a new thread under recipes:mug:

If yer a fan of the WCIPA, look for the Hop Head Red....it's pretty dam tasty too.

I'd be interested in seeing a clone of the WCIPA.

King of Cascade,
where are you getting it in Columbus? I would like to try it.

Speaking of "Columbus," Jamil mentioned on the Jamil Show that Columbus hops will give you that "kind bud" hop aroma/flavor, which is what is so amazing about the GF IIPA.

...except it says right on the bottle that it uses nugget and summit hops...so...what do I know?

It's an awesome and a recipe clone would be killer. A local bar near me had GF IIPA and Nugget Necter running at the same time....It really made for some tough tap choices.

Bumping it up as Green Flash's IPA is right up there with Stone for me these days...

Smuttynose is pretty good too. Of course there's Pelican which is spectacular! :)

Just had my first Green Flash West Coast IPA tonight, and I like it.

Try this...it's probably pretty close

11 lbs 2-row
1 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 80L

1.5 oz. Simcoe - 60 min
1 oz. Columbus - 60 min
1 oz. Centennial - 20 min
1 oz. Cascade - 5 min
1 oz. Cascade - dry

in Beer Calculus this comes out as:

OG - 1.072
FG -1.018
Color - 11 SRM
IBU - 97
ABV - 7.2%

From the brewing Network Forum, Tasty put this together:

Green Flash West Coast IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.63
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.84
Anticipated SRM: 8.8
Anticipated IBU: 93.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.2 14.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
7.9 1.31 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
7.9 1.31 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 24.5 90 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 13.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 11.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 6.7 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 5.7 30 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 10.5 15 min.
0.75 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 8.9 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 10 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 4.4 1 min.
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 3.7 1 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 7.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 0.0 Dry Hop
** Special optional addition section. Listen to the show :lol:
0.20 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 Dry Hop
6# rubber stopper Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 16.63
Water Qts: 20.78 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 5.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 35
Mash-out Rest Temp : 165 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume Gal: 6.53 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Actual OG: 1.070 Actual FG: 1.015
2 Vials of White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast grown up on a 1.035 2 liter stir plate starter for approximately 16 hours before pitching.

Pitched at 68F. Allowed it to rise during the natural heat created during fermentation up to 70F.
Fermented in 6 gallon carboy. Fermented 7 days before dry hopping.
Not transferred or yeast not removed before dry hopping.
Dry hopped for 7 days at 64F. Agitated the dry hop every other day.

I added enough Gypsum to get my water up to approximately 50ppm Calcium, Chuck's starting with 60-70ppm Calcium in Vista, CA (I said 100 on the show, it's actually 60-70), and might be hitting at least 100ppm Calcium in the finished beer. The water in Vista, CA in North San Diego county is pretty hard. See the 2007 water report for that area here: http://www.vid-h2o.org/pdf/publication/CCR_2007.pdf

This homebrew recipe turned out just fantastic, I'd say it was totally cloned. We tapped 5 gallons in the studio on Monday, and I'd say at this rate the keg won't last much longer. :aaron

Potential recipe improvements: Accentuate bitterness in the finish a bit more with water adjustments and/or hit about 35IBU at 90 minutes instead of 25. I would do 25IBU of Simcoe and 10IBU of Columbus there instead of just Simcoe. Also don't be afraid to calculate this recipe out to 105-110IBU. Use Carastan 30-70 if you can instead of Crystal 40L.

Brew it up and enjoy.

I thought they said on the show that they fermented it at 72.

I like that you included the stopper in the recipe :)

The brewing network.com, the jamil show, can you brew it. Free podcast and recpie given for the west coast ipa. I have the recipe if anyone would like it.

Speaking of "Columbus," Jamil mentioned on the Jamil Show that Columbus hops will give you that "kind bud" hop aroma/flavor, which is what is so amazing about the GF IIPA.

...except it says right on the bottle that it uses nugget and summit hops...so...what do I know?

I wouldn't mindn reproducing this beer.....

But yea...

The bottle says "intense hop flavors and aromas from a unique blend of Summit and Nugget hops".

Any homebrew recipes actually use "Summit and Nugget" hops??

Green Flash Hop Head Red

5 gallon batch
OG 1.062
FG 1.012
IBU 70

9# 2-row
3# light Munich
1# carapills
1# c-120

60 min .75oz colombus
10min .35oz colombus
10min 1.5oz amarillo
5 min .5oz amarillo
1 min 1oz amarillo
Dry hop 3oz amarillo

Mash at 155F
Wyeast 1056 ferment at 65 for 2 weeks

It's not a clone, but it is a damn tasty red IPA. Came out much dryer then I would have liked. Degassed sample of GF hop head red was 1.018. Next time I will mash at closer to 157F and up the 2-row to get an OG of 1.07. Hops are almost dead on though. Needs some medium crystal.
Lot of good info on these threads if you want to tweak it yourself.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/green-flash-hop-head-red-174542/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/green-flash-hop-head-recipe-97290/

This should be a dead on clone.

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1069
79% apparent attenuation
FG 1013-1014
SRM 8.8
7.4% abv
IBUs

90 minute boil

WLP001. Ferment starting at 68F, let it increase to 72F over the course of fermentation.

14 lbs US 2 row
1.31 lbs Crystal 40 (substituted for Carastan)
1.31 lbs Carapils

0.5oz simcoe @90m
0.25oz simcoe @60m
0.25oz columbus @60m
0.25oz simcoe @30m
0.25oz columbus @30m
0.75oz simcoe @15m
0.75oz columbus @15m
1oz cascade @10m
0.5oz columbus @1m
0.5oz simcoe @1m
0.5oz each of amarillo, simcoe, columbus, centennial, and cascade for dry hop.

Mash @ 152F for 35m or until conversion
Mash out @ 168F
Sparge @ 170F

Tasty mentioned adding gypsum, but did not specifiy further. Nathan recommended finding the water report for Santa Cruz, CA. He then said that water additions probably don't play a huge role in this particular beer.

Tasty and Nathan recommending either adding 0.5oz columbus @90m or increasing the simcoe to 1oz @90m.

As for the imperial?
I'd say go real simple with the grain bill. 2-row, carapils, maybe some munich or a touch of medium crystal. Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if the grain bill is pretty similar to the the West Coast. I'd mash at around 150F with a clean american ale yeast like 1056. Definitely hop burst this beast with a combo of nugget and summit with a small addition at 60.
I talked to Chuck Silva a couple of months ago about a few of their beers. I know they dry hop with just summit and do it cold, he did say the grain bill is pretty simple but didn't give specifics. I think its been mentioned already you could e-mail them. He was really helpful and seemed like a good guy.

Hope this all helps!
Be sure to post back with recipe and results.
:mug:

Back