BTP 1.5 Beta is out now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both and I perfer BTP much better. The new 1.5.3b is great and they are adding new features all the time with the new updates.

I would love to try out BTP for the Mac but am unwilling to put down cash for something I may not even like.

Am I missing something or is there no demo?

Page 4 of this thread in reply to that question:

BeerTools Pro said:
Bird,

That's what this is all about. 1.5 brings with it a demo.

Lathe
BeerTools

One can only wonder how much business they have thrown to beersmith and promash by not having a demo.

brewt00l said:
Page 4 of this thread in reply to that question:

One can only wonder how much business they have thrown to beersmith and promash by not having a demo.

fair enough...i overlooked that thread...so there's a demo in beta...guess I'll wait a bit longer then.

Brewing Clamper said:
Hey bobby, have you added "vessels" and "heat sources" to your BTP? How did that work for ya?

I have added vessels but I haven't gone through the calibration just yet because I'm about to switch to a KEG MLT. These calibrations, in theory, will help you know how long it will take to heat water, nail strike temps, and know of all your resultant temps. We'll see.

Well, no, there's no demo. It's just that the next major release will have a demo. That release is 1.5 and it is currently being beta tested by people who had already purchased a previous version. As a current user, I can tell you that you cannot go wrong with either BTP or Beersmith. Buy one of them.

BTP is a stand alone program, correct? It is not dependent on an internet connection... just making sure. My internet is slow in the basement where I brew 80% of the time.

Thanks, I think I will be going with BTP because it looks nice and obviously the support is customer orientated and progressive.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
BTP is a stand alone program, correct? It is not dependent on an internet connection... just making sure. My internet is slow in the basement where I brew 80% of the time.

Thanks, I think I will be going with BTP because it looks nice and obviously the support is customer orientated and progressive.

Stand alone but I believe it needs to ping a server after install to verfiy a valid copy.

This is a blessing and a curse if you ask me. It's great to have an active use community that can assist with support. But I also like having structured support that actually addresses how to use the software.

I have been really disappointed with the support model for BTP. The documentation on their Wiki is incomplete and more importantly, the online Wiki support link in the current version goes to the even more incomplete Wiki for version 1.5 that only beta testers have and isn't appropriate for the 1.1 version that paid users have.

I too am anxiously awaiting the 1.5 general release to see if the short comings have been fixed and if the supporting documentation is accurate.

E-mail from Beer Tools today that the new version will be ready for download on September 2nd.

I have using the 1.5 for around 3 months now in Beta form, you will like it a lot. Yes I know the online help is still weak but I still like the program better than Pro mash or beer smith.

It's a good program and I'm anxious to see how the documentation has been improved. There was an apparent lull towards the end of the beta where they said they were working on documentation and then it would go live. I mean, it's been like 2 months since they did any bug fixing on it so the docs should be more robust. They also hinted that prior versions have been offered at an introductory price. It sounds like they're confident in the new functionality such that it will support a higher price. It better be a slam dunk to compete with beersmith then.

1.5 is released to the public now. I downloaded it last night. The interface looks like a different, but I have used it enough to see the functional changes.

I would expect to see quite a bit of new BTP discussions here now that it includes a free trial period. In fact, maybe I'll start a new thread since this one was about the beta.

Latest posts

Back