3/4 hp DC Motor-Mill Worthy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I came across a 90VDC 3/4 hp motor a friend was about to trash. It was on a treadmill.

I was unsure if this was a good direction to go, as I have seen mostly smallish AC motors running mills, but it didn't cost anything to grab it. I am trying to avoid using a hand drill. It has an integral bracket, a sizable flywheel, and a v-belt pulley already attached; I snagged the belt, too. The large pulley was integrated into the shaft of the treadmill, so I left it, but getting something else won't be an issue. Since I noticed it was 90VDC, I grabbed a transformer looking thing from off the frame, too.

Question is: Will this work well or not?

After I got home with it, since I was there doing other stuff in a hurry, I realized that the transformer thing looks more like a coil-it has only two leads. The motor also has only two leads, each thing has female flat blade connectors. As they were already unplugged, and I was looking upside down at this thing in a big dumpster, I couldn't find anything else that I thought I should grab.

Don't I need SOMETHING to act as a converter TO DC, and how do I know if the transformer/coil is for going to 90VDC? It has numbers on it but they don't correspond to anything I can understand.

Don't plug it directly into house current - you'll toast it.
3/4 hp is a lot.
I have a 3/8 hp gear motor turning at 90 rmp hooked to the 3 roller Crankandstein.
You couldn't stall the motor with a pipe wrench if you tried.
Get with an electrician to figure how to hook up.

The money you'll spend on a DC supply will most likely be comparable to a nice AC motor.

you'd probably be best ebaying/craigslisting the motor and using the procedes towards an ac motor

Latest posts

Back