how much DME to prime 5 gallons wit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-1/4 cup (or 8 oz.) in ~ 2 cups of water, boiled for 15 mins., then cooled is standard. DME is all I ever use.

That said, I did do a wheat about a year ago whereby I used 1-3/4 cups b/c I wanted a highly carbonated ale. I got it! :eek: No exploders, but I think I'll stick to no more than 1-1/2 cups from here on out!

Of course the amount of DME or priming sugar also depends on the storage temp while biulding up carbonation.

If you can maintain a 70F then I would go with the lower side. If the tmep will be about the 75F range then I would lower the amount of DME.

Is that 1.25c of tightly or loosely packed DME? I think my next brew is going to go 1.50 cups, since 1.25 is still a light carbonation in my eyes.

Cheesefood said:
Is that 1.25c of tightly or loosely packed DME? I think my next brew is going to go 1.50 cups, since 1.25 is still a light carbonation in my eyes.

I used to just scoop it like flour and level it off. That's a good point; which is why I went to using my digital scale - 8 ounces is 8 ounces!

Right now with the temps in minnesota, my bottles are conditioning at about 60F. Is this ok? How much should I be using to prime these bottles in the current temp? My current priming is 1 cup corn suger and 3/4 cup water. Ive heard this creates a cidery taste until its aged well so I would like to try dme.

Back