another Safale US-05 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Ok; so this is my first time using Safale US-05 and I thought there was not going be be any problems.

I recently bought a new lid for my ale pale and cut a hole so I can fit a # 6.5 bung with two holes [one for the airlock; one for the thermal well I bought].

So I fit the temp probe in the thermal well and set the brew temp at 66 F with a 2 degree swing on the cold side. I thought everything was going fine for the most part until i noticed no bubbles coming at all from the airlock.

So; I know the airlock is a bad idea is a bad thing to guage fermentation, but there was no real fermentation at all.

My bucket was sitting for two days before I decided to let it warmup a bit at room temp to see if it will start to go faster and it did [albiet much slower than liquid yeasts I've used].

After reading all this I guess my question is: Will brewing for two days at 66 F, then letting it warm to ambient at 74 ish F and putting back at the temp of 66 F on the end of the third day going to add off flavors to the batch?

* I do not think I have a leak trying to fit a new lid; since I tried a few drops of water on the seal of the bung and airlock and found no bubbles after close inspection.

Did you see any krausen? S-05 should ferment no problem at 66. Just fermented a batch a 63.

Did you rehydrate? I've never had a lag of more than 6 hours with 05

No; I did not.

I have heard conflicting stories from both the yeah crowd, and the neah crowd about rehrdration of dry yeast.

Is this a problem?

and will taking it our of the temp control to let it warm up before putting it back affect the flavour at all if you know?

** Maybey this helps; but when I pitched I did immediatly put it a temp controled enviroment at 66 F.

Did you see any krausen? S-05 should ferment no problem at 66. Just fermented a batch a 63.

I dont know if I can really call it a krausen since it was difficult to see through the vessel to the wort, and I did not want risk infection by opening it up; however from what I could tell it did look like the yeast had spread over the top of the ale pale, but was not a big of krausen as you would see from a british yeast as wlp005 for example.

I guess I will wait 10 more days at 66 F and take a gravity reading.

Fermented my last batch even cooler than that, did not rehydrate, and my S-05 went to town in 24-48 hrs. Can't say about off-flavours from varying temps.

You might just have a bad seel on your fermenter
None of my fermenters seel well at all. I think i might wash with to hot of water. I just dont stress anymore. Look for krausen and check with hydrometer. That 0-5 has yet to fail me yet.

Take a hydrometer reading before you do anything drastic. I think you'll find that it's almost done fermenting. 05 is a consistently good yeast.

I'd suspect a leak. Your hydrometer will tell the truth. 05 is reliable. Do you still have the package? I'm curious of the date code.

Try to never raise the temp of your pitched wort to 74 in the first few days of fermentation. If your beer was actually fermenting and you raised it to 74 in the first couple of days you may get off flavors. Next time, keep it in the mid 60's and if nothing happens after a couple days take a gravity reading and if it hasn't started fermenting pitch another packet of yeast instead of raising temp. You won't like what hot and stressed US05 excretes....

You might just have a bad seel on your fermenter

I was thinking that as well since it happened like this [slow bubbling etc] from day 1. I already checked the seal of the bung where I cut the hole, and from around the air lock. So if that is the case the seal from the lids rim may indeed be the problem although it did fit fairly tightly on the bucket.

If its indeed leaking from the rim; I hope nothing infects it.

I do not think its a stuck frement since it was like that from the get go.

Dude, relax. It really does take a lot to get an infection. Sanitize a sniffer or something and take a sample and gravity reading. Smell the beer....if it smells like beer and yeast it's fine. If it smells like jet fuel then start a new beer immediately.

+1 on taking a hydrometer reading. Airlocks lie.
Did you aerate prior to pitching the 05?

Raising the temp to 74 on 05 could possibly cause estery flavors (I know it well). Letting it secondary for 6-8 weeks usually burns off the undesirables.

None of my ale pales seal well enough to bubble when using 05. I've learned to gauge fermentation by comparing the differences between the two chambers in the airlock.

I just did a Nut Brown Ale with 05 (I did not rehydrate) and didn't look at the airlock till day 3, saw no bubbles, waited till day 4 and took a sample. Gravity went from 1.051 to 1.018 by the weekend wit should be ready for the secondary @ 1.010 - 1.014.

This is my 3rd batch with 05 and I always miss the fermentation action, but it works every time.

Fermentation was at 72, time for me to move to a colder fermentation room for the summer, typically i am able to hold the fermentation room to 68.

I never rehydrate or aerate. I pitch at 70* and ferment at 70*, normally takes 24 hours for US-05 to take off in my experience with it.

I used 05 on a Brit IPA (6%) and it took off in 6 hours at 69f. I do a lot of aeration, what method do you use?:rockin:

Back