Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble with color in my fruit beers. I recently made a Summer Blonde and added 2 pounds of strawberries to add a little bit of strawberry flavor. It's been in the secondary for 1 day now and has turned a lovely murkey brown. Is there anything I can do about the color? I added Irish Moss to the boil and the Summer Blonde itself is a lovely, well, Blonde color. Thoughts?

You need to brew another batch. Nothing distracts one from taking hourly gravity readings or watching the yeast settle like brewing again. RDWHAHB

You need to keep in mind as well that the colour you see in the large volume of the carboy is not the same as you see in the glass. That 'brown' colour now may turn out to be a nice subtle red hue in the glass. The yeast still in suspension cause the light to reflect differently as well which also changes the apparent colour.

Even after they have settled, beers look darker in the carboy than they do in the glass.

i bottled a beer yesterday that was a beautiful dark red color in the carboy and bucket, but it was a nice tan color going through the hose. i would prefer the red, but oh wellz. it's still tasty :)

I have a nice golden yellow Kolsch that looks like a brown ale in the betterbottle.

Back