Hopped Up Red recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRS

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on this partial mash recipe... I'm going for a hopped-up red, inspired by Green flash's hop head red and or Great Lake's Nosferatu but not a clone. GLB Nosferatu GF HHR

The specialty grain types and amounts are really where I feel I need some help.

Beer: Hopped up Red
Type: Partial mash
Size: 5.5 gallons
Color:
38 HCU (~18 SRM)
Bitterness: 62 IBU
OG: 1.061

Grain:
3 lb. American 2-row
0.5 lb. American crystal 60L
0.25 lb. Roasted barley
0.5 lb. American victory
mash at ~152-154F

6 lb. Light malt extract

Hops:
2 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 10 min.)
2 oz. Cascade (aroma)
1 oz. Cascade (dry hop)
1 oz. Amarillo (dry Hop)

For yeast I'm thinking some Rouge pacman, or wyeast 1056

Your thoughts are appreciated!

After sleeping on it, I've decided to drop the roasted malt and switch up the Crystal 60 for 80. I may up the victory a bit as well, we'll see what I feel like when the time comes.

My advice would be to up the total crystal and mix medium 60 or so with slightly darker 80 or 120 to get a nice red color. I'd drop the roasted barley completely, just a few oz of that in a 5 gallon batch will really roast it up and this is likely not what you are after. Unless it is an Irish type Red ale you are after. Even then I'd say 2 oz would be enough.

i made a Hop Head Red "clone-ish" came out really good and somewhat close, but lacked the raisen notes I find in the real thing. So that's why its "clone-ish". Its not a true clone, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Its in my recipe drop down if you are interested.

Might be good, but I'd drop the roasted barley - I don't know the grain bill for Hop-Head (awesome frakkin beer - as good as or better than anything produced by that other San Diego brewer, IMO), but it doesn't seem to have any hints of charcoal like you get in a stout. Some munich and/or caramunich might redden it up a little, if that's what you want. Hop wise, looks tasty. Good luck.

based on your original recipe, I think you could tweak it slightly and get what you want.

1. Up the crystal malt to 1lb. In a beer like this, I think that a blend of crystal malts can add complexity. Much like my ESB, I think that 12oz of crystal 40 for the lighter caramel notes and 4oz of crystal 120 to add a little of the darker fruit and slightly burnt toffee flavors will get you where you want.

2. Instead of dropping the roasted barley completely, switch it out for carafa III (dehusked) and only use 2oz. 2oz is more than enough to give you the deep red color you want and the carafa III doesnt give off the roasty flavors of roasted barley or black patent.

3. Lower the victory malt to .25lb. It goes a long way and too much will leave you with an overly toasty flavor, like burnt toast. A little however can add a nice light biscuity flavor....Or if you want, since you are doing partial mash you could eliminate the victory and sub munich or vienna for the 2-row. Both of those base malts have a bit of that toasty malt notes on their own and it wont be too malty since its a smaller portion of the grain bill compared to the extract.

Thanks for the input everyone. If I get a chance to swing by the LHBS I may pick up some other crystal malts/caramunich to mix in. I'll be sure to let you all know how it turns out!

Back