Quick Timing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeesBus

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new in the brewing game and had a quick question about bottling. I currently have a stout in the primary fermenter. I wanted to keep it in there for 14 days. The 24th of Mar will be day 14. My problem is I ran out of bottles a few weeks ago and it slipped my mind to get more. I've ordered new bottles that will arrive on the 27th of Mar. I know that 2 weeks is ok to leave beer in the fermenter but leave it 3 weeks and it will start to taste bad right? So am I going to have a problem bottling on day 17, 18, or 19?

TIA
Steve

I go from the fermenter to kegs, so my brews will typically sit on the trub for 3-5 weeks.

I am now in the practice of leaving all my IPAs, porters and stouts for AT LEAST a month in the secondary at cellar temperature. That volume conditioning really helps the beer.

My record was 6 months for a stout, and it was far and away one of the best stouts I have made.

Most of the literature acknowledges the potential risks associated with autolysis, but usually state that the risk small and generally associated with a warm ferment in the primary.

Back