2 different Original Gravity estimates with 2 different software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

Trying out different brew software and I am using the same ingredients but getting two different Original Gravity estimates. I am trying Beer smith and Beer tools.

1. What other factors are involved here?
2. Do I have to modify the ingredients in the software based on where I buy my grains from? Or are these ingredients pretty much correct from what you buy at the home brew stores?

Thanks.

how much of a difference was there in the gravities that the two programs estimated? Was it a HUGE discrepancy or was it reasonably close?

Did you have the efficiency estimate and batch size set the same in both programs?

1.058 i Beer Tools
1.062 in Beer Smith

Pretty close, just wondering if they use different numbers for the same type of ingredient.

Changing my efficiency in Beer Smith does not seem to have any effect. Same batch size of 5 gallons.

Changing my efficiency in Beer Smith does not seem to have any effect.

That's strange. Changing efficiency should definitely have an impact on the gravity.

wait! is this an extract batch or an all-grain batch?

If it's extract, then I think the problem is just what the software assumes you are going to get from each pound of extract. Each brand of extract is different, and will have a different "potential" for adding to your gravity.

This is an All Grain brew.

What screen in Beer Smith should affect the OG? The screen where I add the ingredients?

Back