Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
How is amarillo hops for flavor in apa's. Let's say at the 20 min mark?

Is this hop good / great / or bad for flavor?

IMO, it is a fantastic hop for flavor. I find it to be a more mellow grapefruit taste. Its like cascade but smoother and not as POW in your face.

Hmm ya I'm thinking about tweaking my APA recipe that was awesome just to expirment with certain things. I was debating whether or not to sub Amarillo in place of Cascade, but not sure. I really like Cascade a lot.

What about dubbling up and using Cascade and Amarillo (overkill?)

I love amarillo hops! I use them in several of my best IPAs and APAs. I've never used them with cascades before, though. I know that they are wonderful mixed with simcoe hops.

There are a number of all amarillo beers on the market. Rogue Yellow Snow IPA has good distribution.

I like it with simcoe and prefer centennial for a stand alone citrusy hop.

I do a lot of Amarillo based beers, I also have mixed them with Cascade at all stages of boil and dry-hopping. My opinion is that Amarillo and Cascade are similar, but do not complement each other as well as expected. I get too much grapefruit/citrus from the two together as flavor hops.

Amarillo at 20 is great, aroma, taste and bittering. I would choose one or the other for your "featured" hop. If you can get your hands on the Green Flash HopHead Red, it is late hopped and dry hopped with Amarillo-that is a fantastic beer.

As remilard mentions, I like Amarillo with Simcoe too.

i like to use Amarillo with Chinook. They seem to compliment each other well. Small 2:1 Amarillo to Chinook. Trust me.

I just added a pound of amarillo to my hopsdirect order.

I'm thinking of doing something like EdWort's Haus Pale:

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Only using Amarillo instead of Cascade, adjusting IBU for 35-40. I would mash low (150ish) and ferment at 65 with an american ale yeast.

I figure that this should give me a good handle what amarillo tastes like and get me a pretty good beer as well.

What do you think?

I think cascade is best when blended with other hops. It's not an all purpose hop like amarillo could be. To me, cascade adds a harsh citrus taste that, when used in moderation, can really make an american beers hop profile great.

Amarillo is teh **** with simcoe!!

Dry hop:

1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Ahtanum

Hands down my IPA favorite dry hop mix - amazing aroma, nice citrus overtones.

Wow, just Wow.

Damn, Wow.

Jason

See the Surly Furrious clones for a good Amarillo + Simcoe hop schedule

Amarillo is good at any stage. I don't understand why people like cascade, tho. I'm not big on grapefruit, grass and harsh bitterness.

You know what? Its funny, I had 1 pound of Cascade from a big hop order a-la hopsdirect. I was saving it, because in my mind (having never used it and being a new brewer) cascade was one of the best flavor hops. I tried using it on a rendition of Stone Ruination, it which I used almost all Cascade. I found the exact same flavors you mention, and it is definitely a harsh bitterness. I must say, I am not a huge Cascade fan. I will still use it, though, probably in smaller quantities. Perhaps a nice American wheat or an APA may allow the hop to be part of the party without becoming a stage hog.

On topic, Amarillo is probably my favorite hop so far. It is absolutely fantastic as a flavoring addition and it blend very well with Willamette. I mean VERY well, try it you will love it. It also blends well with Fuggles. I have a recipe for what I named "Naked Amarillo", and its an APA using light crystal and pale - and at the high end of the APA scale for Aroma hops. Its by far, the best American style beer I have ever made, and one of the best I have had. No joke.

I'll second (or third, or whatever) the love for Amarillo. My house IPA is all Amarillo and comes out fantastic. I've got the last bit of a keg of IIPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo and they go splendidly together. :)

Amarillo as a flavor hop addition is especially awesome.

I like it. Though I mostly use it in American Wheats. I do an all amarillo american wheat that people just love...I love it too. It is not my go to hop in my IPA's, though i use it to mix it up some. I like more punch in those, so I stick with Chinook, Cent, Cascade, Columbus ,etc...usually.

I like it. Though I mostly use it in American Wheats. I do an all amarillo american wheat that people just love...I love it too. It is not my go to hop in my IPA's, though i use it to mix it up some. I like more punch in those, so I stick with Chinook, Cent, Cascade, Columbus ,etc...usually.

I would be interested in the recipe, if you dont mind ;)

Dry hop:

1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Ahtanum

Hands down my IPA favorite dry hop mix - amazing aroma, nice citrus overtones.

Wow, just Wow.

Damn, Wow.

Jason

See the Surly Furrious clones for a good Amarillo + Simcoe hop schedule
Amen, those hops together=heaven in a glass.

I would be interested in the recipe, if you dont mind ;)

Here you go.

SnowGlobe American Wheat
5.5 gals
OG=1.048-1.053
FG= 1.010-1.008 (usually)
IBU= 40
SRM= 4
Mash 152
60 min boil

5lbs 2-row Pale
5lbs Red Wheat or White Wheat

Time Oz Type
FWH .5 Amarillo
60 .25 Amarillo
20 .5 Amarillo
10 1.0 Amarillo
0 1.0 Amarillo
Optional Dry Hop with 1 oz.

Yeast preference in order:
WY1010- 1qt starter- adds a nice tartness to compliment the hops
Kolsch- Wyeast or White Labs 1qt Starter- very clean not tart like 1010
US-05- clean, kind of peachy in this.

Ferment Cold if you can. I go as low as 58 and have no problem with the yeast. I pitch the yeast a little warmer however. I leave it in primary for 3weeks at least. Then straight to keg or bottle and you can drink as soon as it is carbed up.

This is a very light base so anything you do to it or anything goes off, it will show through. I usually start with mostly RO and adjust my water to be very low in minerals and balanced on the SO4/CL. I can give you the exact water profile I use if you wish.

For added twist and less hop smack use something like Williamette at 60 only and hop to 20 ibus, then throw some other C hop in at FO, no more than an ounce or so. This is for those that like less aggressive hopping. You can also throw in a pound or so of light munich to malt it up a little if you wish. Don't screw it up with any crystal type malts. LOL.

Good luck and let me know how you like it if you decide to brew it.

Here you go.

Good luck and let me know how you like it if you decide to brew it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It sounds great, when I get back to the states I am going to try it out. Wheat's rock :rockin:

Love the Amarillo but in conjunction with Simcoe, Columbus & Centennial in the boil and dry hop. Have kind of become "Cascaded Out" but still feel that it is a great hop. Just had an IIPA made with Pacific Jade and that was really different and good so I am going to try that one soon. Montanaandy

jlpred55,

I'd like to try your recipe too. I've never made or used wheat before so forgive my question. The red or white wheat you call for, is that flaked, and is that the typical description, red and white?

jlpred55,

I'd like to try your recipe too. I've never made or used wheat before so forgive my question. The red or white wheat you call for, is that flaked, and is that the typical description, red and white?

If I may chime in.....

Red wheat is ummalted and a base wheat for wheat style beers. Red wheat is alittle darker than white and red also is derived from Germany. At least this is what the LHBS told me. I was a little confused on all the wheat options also at first.

I personally find Amarillo to be strange as a large flavor addition. To me it tastes like biting too far into a melon rind, or almost a metallic flavor. As an aroma addition it's great though.

If I may chime in.....

Red wheat is ummalted and a base wheat for wheat style beers. Red wheat is alittle darker than white and red also is derived from Germany. At least this is what the LHBS told me. I was a little confused on all the wheat options also at first.

Pretty much what he said, though the red wheat was malted or at least I always use it like it is. Anyway the red and white wheats are completely interchangable and there is no flavor difference- i've used both. Flaked wheat is different than either of those. Remember if you are prone to stuck sparges throw in a handful of rice hulls to keep it flowing.

Latest posts

Back