6mm Aluminum vs 1mm Stainless for double batch BIAB setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lknbigfish

Reaction score
i know the stainless vs aluminum topic has been beat to death, thats not the question here.

i am looking at 20-25 gallon pots and it looks like in my budget i am looking at 1-1.2mm stainless or ~6mm aluminum.

which will be more important in the long run, thicker walled faster boiling aluminum OR easier cleaned stainless?

That is a tricky one, I would probably go w/ the stainless. Stainless is nice in that you can scrub it w/ bar keepers friiend and it looks like new. A 6mm alum pot is pretty heavy duty and will work well. So long as you don't dent up the thin stainless it should be good as well. Personal preference??

Ya got a small crane to heft the grain bag??

Are you direct heating the pot? The heating properties of aluminum are important, then. If you ever think you might go electric, it won't matter as much, and you'll want SS.

1.2 mm stainless isn't that thin....it's an incredibly strong metal. Ever try to drill it?

Stainless will clean easier and look nicer than aluminum, and can take more abuse.

I think it really depends on how much you want to spend. What stores are you looking at? I know instawares.com has good prices.

Back